Broke Gmoccapy trying to enable Tool Measurement

More
15 Apr 2016 03:37 #73331 by Quasirobo
Something was definitely wrong with some of my files and folders, a few weren't even recognized as being there when I tried to move them today. Still working on my best practices for using Linux, but the new config seems to be almost working!

After homing the axes, I click on the tool button, and select M6. The mill goes to the Tool Change position, I click o.k.. The mill goes to the Tool Sensor position, and the spindle starts to descend. I close the circuit on the tool sensor, but the axis keeps descending to the MAXPROBE depth where it stops, and gmoccapy gives me an appropriate error message.

I changed my .hal file probe assignment to "net probe motion.probe-input <= parport.0.pin-13-in-not" (meaning I inverted it, I'm pretty sure inverted is actually correct for my setup), but there was no change in how Gmoccapy behaved when I tried again.

From the Gmoccapy settings menu, I started the halscope program and was able to observe the correct parallel port signal changing states when I closed the circuit on the tool sensor (closed was high, open was low).

Almost there! Here's the new config folder:

File Attachment:

File Name: Taig-02.zip
File Size:61 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2016 08:41 #73338 by cncbasher
watch the pins by using hal configuration , and see if the pin for your probe changes state , and in the correct sense
i.e false to true on activation , and not backside first .
it's also important that the files are found , and in the correct places . this is usually nothing more than either a typo , or a path problem, also remember Linux is case sensitive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2016 15:35 #73348 by Quasirobo

...I started the halscope program and was able to observe the correct parallel port signal changing states when I closed the circuit on the tool sensor (closed was high, open was low).


Thanks cncbasher, you confirmed that the signal that I observed was correct. The problem remains; some how Gmoccapy is not seeing the signal that is present through the .hal. If some one could look in the relevant spots of the files I uploaded perhaps to figure out what's not happening between the G38.2 command in the "change.ngc" routine and the next section of that program, that would be a big help!

Thanks much,

Oliver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2016 21:41 #73370 by newbynobi
I am not at home, and can not help from my phone, so please someone look in the files.
If the move does not stop, changing the probe signal, it is for sure a hal question, as gmoccapy does mot take influence at this step!!

Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2016 06:46 - 16 Apr 2016 06:57 #73392 by Quasirobo
The probe is working! I had misinterpreted the situation. The last Z axis move that I was seeing was the move to the TOOLSENSOR Z position, not the G38.2 move to the MAXPROBE depth as I'd previously thought. I had mistakenly entered the MAXPROBE depth in absolute coordinates instead of as a relative distance from the TOOLSENSOR Z position, which in effect was potentially asking the machine to destroy itself. Instead of starting the probe command, it stopped and returned an error because it calculated that the given MAXPROBE position was past my Z axis negative soft limit.

The last remaining detail is to get the Advanced Settings units to work for me! I have a G20 in my RS274NGC_STARTUP_CODE, do I need to set the units to Standard somewhere else as well? The DRO is in Standard... Right now, the minimum search and probe velocities seem pretty darn fast set to "1" which is as low as they can go.

Also, when the Z-axis raises after the Search G38.2 before starting the Probe G38.2, it travels up 2 inches instead of what's probably supposed to be 2 millimeters. I see the G0 Z2 command on line 47 in the "change.ngc" file, does that Z value need to be changed? If so, does the code need to be adjusted elsewhere as well?
Thank you all for the valuable input that has helped me get this far, I've already learned quite a lot from this endeavor. I know that these questions just keep coming, you all display an admirable level of patience!
Last edit: 16 Apr 2016 06:57 by Quasirobo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2016 15:48 #73406 by cncbasher
glad you managed it !
look at the files in turn , and you'll need to change any occourance of G21 to G20 ( Metric to Imperial Inch )
as the most of gmocappy is set in Metric .
and of course measurements shown will be in Metric , so you'll need to change to the measurments you need in Imperial Inch
again velocites will probably also require some manipulation to suit your environment .
just work through one at a time , and dont rush and change too many at one time . and you should reach the goal !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum