Feed override in auto mode

More
23 May 2019 13:07 #134689 by Glemigobles
I'm running a milling machine using gmoccapy. Will the feed override slider work for programs run in auto mode and not just in manual/mdi, and also does feed override work for G0 positioning moves or do they have to be G1?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2019 14:39 #134704 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Feed override in auto mode
there are halui pins that manage the ovverride
depending on what version you use the pins have been renamed from 2.7 to 2.8

The following user(s) said Thank You: Glemigobles

More
23 May 2019 15:16 #134709 by Glemigobles
Thanks, what you posted doesn't work for me but I have something to go on.

Maybe it would be better to tell the CAM software to generate G1 code only so that the speed slider works for all moves. In my old Philips control, the feed override affected both G0 and G1. When testing a new program I set it to 0% and slowly increase to see if there was any unexpected behaviour. That's what I would like to do in LinuxCNC as well.

More
23 May 2019 15:48 #134714 by newbynobi
In earlier releases that was handled in linuxcnc exactly as you explained, but it has been changed in one of the latest releases.

Now you have a feed overide and a rapid override. You may want to connect both override values in your hal file to react to the widget of gmoccapy or you add a custom panel containing the additional slider.

I am out of home, so i am not able to post a sample.

Norbert

More
23 May 2019 16:17 #134719 by Glemigobles
Hey Norbert,

It's unclear to me why these functions would be separated by default. It seems like a fringe case for anyone to want them like that. Why did you decide not to include the rapid override function as standard?

The override sliders are usually employed for testing new code, and the ability to limit rapids to check if the machine is doing what you're expecting it to (like going in the right direction!) seems really basic.

More
23 May 2019 18:00 #134726 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Feed override in auto mode
it is good to have them separated
as the work and maschine global overrides

the user have to decide what he wants
even if the main people woudt like to see them connected
the rapid override also effects the Interpreter and this leads to following trouble so better to keep them seperated

More
23 May 2019 18:02 #134727 by Glemigobles
How can I connect the two override values in hal? I tried just switching to Axis where the rapid override slider is on by default but then I can't get my machine to release from estop.

I would very much appreciate some code showing how it's done.

More
23 May 2019 18:05 - 23 May 2019 18:07 #134729 by Glemigobles
pl7i92, I don't recall them being separte on training machines with Siemens and Fanuc controls some two years ago. I'm using these examples because I know the Philips was extremely old.

EDIT: anyway would greatly appreciate some help with having the feed override slider work on the invisible rapids one as well. I don't want to run any code until I understand exactly how to keep the machine under control, the slider must work on both types of moves.
Last edit: 23 May 2019 18:07 by Glemigobles.

More
23 May 2019 19:06 #134736 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Feed override in auto mode
In liniuxcnc 2.7 gmoccapy uses 'max velocity' slider to limit feed or rapid moves.
It sets the absolute max velocity the machine can move at (so if you turn it down low enough it will affect feedrate)
there is also a feedrate slider for just limiting feedrate.

In linuxcnc 2.8 gmoccapy use 'max feedrate' and max rapid' sliders to do the same thing but separately.

Having them separate is handy say for a lathe when you want to limit the rapid so you can confirm the offsets/program but if you limited the feedrate too much the chips are stringy and ball up.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glemigobles

More
24 May 2019 07:10 #134783 by Glemigobles
Thanks Chris, this is what I was looking for!

IMO, whether it's a lathe or a mill, reducing feedrates when actually cutting material will have a negative impact on either tool life, workpiece or both. Once you confirm that the toolpath is in the right directions and the work offsets are okay, almost always you want to go at the programmed feeds (unless it's a new material/tool combo and you're looking to optimize).

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds