How do I close a g-code file in Gmocapy?

More
25 Oct 2020 05:39 #187168 by rogerfries
I can't seem to find a close file button anywhere.

When I make changes to my g-code, I generally go back to my Fusion 360 Windows PC, make my changes and re-post. I post to Dropbox which syncs to the LinuxCNC machine if the file is locked the new file won't transfer therefore I need to close the file so I can get the new one.

Is there a close file button I'm missing?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2020 14:46 #187193 by newbynobi
This is not a GUI matter, IMHO no GUI can close the loaded file. Did you try the reload file button?

Norbert

More
26 Oct 2020 16:17 #187326 by chrisfairbrother
Yes Norbert is correct. If you open a gcode file in Linuxcnc, the file is locked for write, and cannot be overwritten while Linuxcnc has the file open. The only workaround I have found is to open a different file in Linuxcnc, then reposting the file will work and you can then re open the file you have modified.
Chris

More
26 Oct 2020 21:12 #187343 by tommylight

Yes Norbert is correct. If you open a gcode file in Linuxcnc, the file is locked for write, and cannot be overwritten while Linuxcnc has the file open.

I would disagree as i do save the already opened file in LinuxCNC several times during a single day, so i can confirm that LinuxCNC does not lock an opened gcode file for reading or writing or deleting. I use the Axis GUI.

More
26 Oct 2020 21:29 #187345 by chrisfairbrother
Ok Tommylight, I will double check this when I return home later this week. I have had the same problem as rogerfries while trying to overwrite a file on my local network while linuxcnc has it open and concluded it was locked. I use gmoccapy. I will test with axis as well and report back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Oct 2020 23:11 #187350 by phillc54

Yes Norbert is correct. If you open a gcode file in Linuxcnc, the file is locked for write, and cannot be overwritten while Linuxcnc has the file open.

I would disagree as i do save the already opened file in LinuxCNC several times during a single day, so i can confirm that LinuxCNC does not lock an opened gcode file for reading or writing or deleting. I use the Axis GUI.

I have the same results as Tom, it works fine.

More
27 Oct 2020 12:46 #187409 by Todd Zuercher
I don't use Gmocappy, so can't comment there, but I thought Linuxcnc reads all the g-code file into memory, it is not actively reading the file from the HD while it is being used. Linuxcnc can be running a file while you open, edit, and save the same file with another program. The changes you made will not show up in Linuxcnc until you reload the file within Linuxcnc. It doesn't matter if its saved on a network or saved locally.

More
28 Oct 2020 11:12 #187548 by rogerfries
If the file is not locked, then the file reload should work perfectly for me. I just assumed an ope file would be locked and never tested it. The one thing that's bugging me about Linux, the Linux Mint GUI file manager has only the file dates, not Date/time. Even when you click on properties, no time is displayed that I can find. I want to see the time to know that this is the new file I just updated, not the one from 15 minutes ago. In Mach 3, the load file control showed the created date & time so I got the assurance the newest g code file synced down from dropbox.

In reality, by the time I get back to my CNC, the file should be synced and I can simply click the reload button and run with my CAM updates. The fact that the file is not locked is a big improvement in my workflow as I would often forget to close the file before I went upstairs to make my CAM change. Then the file would not sync as Mach 3 locked the file.

Thanks!

More
28 Oct 2020 14:50 #187582 by Todd Zuercher
What desktop environment are you using with Mint? The default file viewer (Caja) in Mate shows all the date and time info, same with Nemo in Cinnamon. But unfortunately the one used by the Axis ui in Linuxcnc is bare bones and shows nothing but the file names. It also has trouble viewing network connections. Not sure what is used for most of the other Linuxcnc uis, but I'm pretty sure they are rather limited in their capabilities compared with the file viewers that come with the desktops.

More
28 Oct 2020 17:19 #187591 by rogerfries
Not being a Linux guy I took whatever came rolled up with LinuxCNC. I wouldn't know how to load LINUXCNC over a custom distro.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds