NativeCam raspberry Pi 4

More
05 Feb 2018 17:37 #105450 by Gene1934
IDK what I've got, its a bit much to put in the ini file when its running on a pi3b.

As I am used to writing my own gcode, its not a huge loss, but I'll continue to monitor it as I have another card that s/b able to replace the pi, with a 25% faster, full 64 bit 4 core cpu, and 4x the memory.

Thanks Fern.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2018 23:49 #105962 by curtisa
Hi Fern (and others),

I have been using LinuxCNC for a few years now on a benchtop mill, which was successfully running Debian Wheezy and NativeCAM. Recently I replaced my PC and upgraded the mill to a bigger unit. Unfortunately the new PC will not run Debian Wheezy without introducing significant latency problems (+500k spikes observed), despite all the usual fixes outlined in the latency FAQs. However, Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 works perfectly well and I have been running the latest version of LinuxCNC 2.7.12 without issue.

I wanted to re-install NativeCAM on the new PC, but having been forced to run Ubuntu 10.04 has meant that NativeCAM now no longer installs from the deb package. The error given during install is that Python => 2.7 is required. Ubuntu 10.04 appears to only come pre-packaged with 2.6.5 (as listed in Synaptic Package Manager). I have managed to install Python 2.7.2 as per instructions outlined here , and can confirm that if I enter 'python --version' in the console Linux returns version 2.7.2 as running. However NativeCAM still refuses to install and still requests a Python version >= 2.7.

Is there a way to 'convince' NativeCAM that Python 2.7.2 is installed on my system? Or are there further steps I need to undertake to get Python to be fully recognised by my system as being a newer version than 2.6.5?

More
15 Feb 2018 18:19 #105986 by FernV
Hi,

I am affraid I can not be of much help in your case but many are using lcnc and ncam with Lucid. If someone knows how to make it work, please help

Regards
Fern

More
15 Feb 2018 21:05 #105990 by curtisa
Thanks Fern,

If anyone else knows of a way around installing NativeCAM on Lucid, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Andrew.

More
15 Feb 2018 21:10 #105991 by FernV

If anyone else knows of a way around installing NativeCAM on Lucid, I'd appreciate some guidance

I think NativeCAM works with Lucid since there have been many install on this system. I think the problem is more with your setup

Fern

More
15 Feb 2018 21:16 #105992 by curtisa
That's the impression I have too. I've simply used the Ubuntu LiveCD as the install, which comes with the standard Python 2.6.5 pre-installed. I'm not much of a Linux expert, more of an end-user, but I can sort out a few solutions to minor problems with some research on the internet. I guess I've yet to find the 'correct' method for upgrading Python to a newer version.

More
09 Dec 2018 19:57 #122111 by sqmathlete
Hi Fern,

Great job! Is it also possible to integrate NativeCAM into a "custom" gscreen like NgcGui?

Kind regards
Dan

More
10 Dec 2018 06:13 #122129 by FernV

... Is it also possible to integrate NativeCAM into a "custom" gscreen like NgcGui?

No, it only works with axis, gmoccapy and gscreen

It has nothing in common with ngcgui

Fern

More
10 Dec 2018 18:07 #122150 by sqmathlete
Hi Fern,
Sorry, that question was a bit unclear. I want to embed NativeCAM in to a custom g-screen tab. I am assuming that the answer is still no, since I get this error... this is the only one though. :S

As you can see, there is also a tab for Ngcgui. It doesn't work either at this point.

Second, I installed NativeCam via the instructions on the first page and through the synaptic pkg manager, now I need to run sudo linuxcnc to open anything without errors but I am unsure of which file permissions I need to change.
Any idea?

Kind regards,
Dan
Attachments:

More
10 Dec 2018 18:22 #122152 by FernV
Hi,

What is the display value in your ini file ? As you see, it can only be 'axis', 'gmoccapy' or 'gscreen'.

Have you tried to setup a second time ? It must not be done before removing any 'NativeCAM required item' lines from your ini file.
I personnaly had success with gscreen but you have made a lot of modifications to it.

If you have issues since you installed ncam, uninstall it and make sure lcnc works fine, then post your ini file here so I can have a look at it.

Fern

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds