PathPilot on Parallel port

More
26 Sep 2015 20:22 #63022 by racedirector
Bit of a surprise but I have Pathpilot talking to my machine via parallel port, that is it is connected and recognises the e-stop config. However I have an error I can't get rid of. When I click Ref X or Ref Y I get joint following errors on those axes. The config for the data that affects that is straight for my previous config under Axis.

I am attaching my reconfiged pathpilot ini and my original tin the hope that someone can see a glaring error or omission. Getting rid of these errors is just a part of getting it 100% working so I can replace my axis based system. Any help appreciated

Cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2015 03:09 #63036 by cncbasher
joint errors are usually down to either the logic of the switches needing inverting , or interference on the low voltage wiring , on a stepper based system

More
27 Sep 2015 05:38 - 27 Sep 2015 05:38 #63042 by racedirector
Thanks, what is weird is everything worked fine 20 minutes prior on a standard Axis based PC. I'll try a few other things today to see if it will fly .
Last edit: 27 Sep 2015 05:38 by racedirector.

More
27 Sep 2015 17:15 - 27 Sep 2015 17:17 #63055 by cncbasher
are you using the same tormach version of lcnc
for both your axis & revised versions ?

i notice in the tormach code they are using debounce component , probably for the same reason
post your config archive and i'll run it here and see if i get the same problem
Last edit: 27 Sep 2015 17:17 by cncbasher.

More
27 Sep 2015 20:55 #63064 by racedirector
No not the same versions.... my axis install is on 2.7 Debian 64bit Jessy and Tormach uses Ubuntu 10.04 with 2.6 pre. Both hard drives are in the same PC though however the same problem existed with the PP drive in a lessor machine. I did get something happening by reducing my velocities, PP actually showed some movement on screen but no movement of the machine at all and the joint 0 following error and estop

I am attaching all my PP-ified configs I am using to try and get PP running on a parallel port. About 80% of them are straight out of my axis configs/files with what I think PP needs to run the gui. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers
Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2015 21:06 #63065 by racedirector
Just another thing to note is Tormach uses 2.6.32-122-rtai kernel

More
29 Sep 2015 16:33 #63191 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PathPilot on Parallel port

Bit of a surprise but I have Pathpilot talking to my machine via parallel port, that is it is connected and recognises the e-stop config. However I have an error I can't get rid of. When I click Ref X or Ref Y I get joint following errors on those axes

Check the HAL file, it is quite likely that you don't even have a base thread, so the step generator can't possibly keep up.

More
29 Sep 2015 16:47 #63192 by racedirector
You may a life saver Andy... I just checked my PP version and Tormachs and they were similar. I was just about to post about that when I looked at my original hal file and I forgot to add something to my PP version from my Axis version, namely:
addf parport.0.read base-thread
addf stepgen.make-pulses base-thread
addf parport.0.write base-thread
addf parport.0.reset base-thread

Going to fire up the other PC now to see what happens when I add those lines.....fingers crossed!

More
29 Sep 2015 17:09 #63198 by racedirector
Nope, still drowning. I did actually have those lines in the PP hal file. Back to the drawing board...

More
29 Sep 2015 17:12 #63199 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PathPilot on Parallel port
Do the stepgen feedbacks go back to motion?
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds