PathPilot on AMD GizmoSphere 1

More
02 Dec 2015 21:14 #66227 by Iron-Man
:cheer: I am almost finished with the basic set-up.
The following are functioning;
All servo axis x,z,s.
Constant speed.
MPG
Door switch guard.

Now I need to connect the spindle encoder (2000ppr)to the UI for threading.
I am using a servo-amp for the spindle motor.
The spindle encoder pins do not show up in my (pathpilot) configuration. Is it possible that PathPilot has stripped these functions ?
I will post my HAL file later today when cleaned up.

By the way. Is it possible to move this entire post to the PathPilot Forum?

Thanks,

Iron-Man

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 00:05 #66243 by BigJohnT
And there you go...

JT

More
03 Dec 2015 02:14 #66252 by Iron-Man

And there you go...

JT

Thanks BigJohn. Can the entire Topic be moved here?

Iron-Man

More
03 Dec 2015 04:24 #66271 by Iron-Man
My Hal file below. It may not be possible in PathPilot using the 6i25 - 7i77 for spindle encoder function since PathPilot is geared toward stepper motor systems. Are there any functions that can be called in HAL?, to access the spindle encoder outputs. If any of the MESA people are watching, can I make a new bit file that would provide spindle encoder a,b,z signals? If not, I will buffer the spindle signals directly to some additional I/O and read it there.

File Attachment:

File Name: testtormac...5i25.hal
File Size:25 KB

Thanks,

Iron-Man
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2015 10:19 - 03 Dec 2015 12:01 #66274 by cncbasher
in most cases as pathpilot is based on Linuxcnc ( in server mode ) , with a few caveats . anything linuxcnc can do so can pathpilot including servos nothing has changed in that respect , the hal files are built the same way , as can the mesa hardware .

Now for the problems / niggles .....
pathpilot is geared around a mesa 5i25 , and on linuxcnc v2.6.0 , and has been specifically tailored to tormach machines and has been stripped of many comp files such as mux16 , and cutdown for their purposes as well as changes to some areas including the tooltable , some of these are easily re-installed manually , other are more ingrained ,

Also the 5i25 is configured in many places , through out the code , and to the fact that if it does not find a 5i25 it will try and reconfigure and indeed re-flash the 5i25 with their bit file . and also re-install their ini and hal files .

so you need to essentially strip it back and re-build for use with linuxcnc and not tormach use .
also it uses redis server in the background for communication .

it also uses an operator shell script to start , which also checks that a 5i25 is present or it forces either a re-install of software
or a reinstall of the bit file , so this could essentially overwrite a change bit file , so these are all things needed to be looked at

they also have an update structure using protected zip files , if you go that route , which of course could overwrite any changes .

although a 7i77x2 bit file should do what you need , as 6i25's come pre flashed with either stepper or servo
configuration , this would depend on your individual card . this is changed using the mesaflash utility
which is part of linuxcnc & pathpilot . as the name of the bit file is hardcoded into the files ,, then you would need to change this to reflect , the bit file you need to use , or the pathpilot code could re-flash your work back to the origional .

their are also changes to the tooltable and the pathpilot ui , that depending on the mode of operation and filename
will switchoff certian parts , such as change the displayed tool table , or work offsets , and change the use of the encoder pins

re-making a bit file can be done , i can look at that , along with any changes .
beware stripping all this back is not a 5 min job , i am looking at producing a more linuxcnc based version ,
so it's more easily maintained , i'm open to ideas .
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 12:01 by cncbasher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector, DaveLawrence

More
03 Dec 2015 14:27 #66280 by Iron-Man
Cncbasher thanks for the response. My card is flashed with the 7i77x2.bit file. In testing, I start pathpilot from a command prompt. Under Linuxcnc, a show all pins, shows the correct pins to access the spindle encoder a,b,z. Under pathpilot it does not. Do you know which modules/functions would contain the spindle encoder functions?
Just to be certain, the 7i77 is only flashed with the bit files?

Thanks,

Iron-Man

More
03 Dec 2015 14:35 - 03 Dec 2015 14:37 #66281 by cncbasher
the 5i25 is flashed either from pathpilot or independantly using mesaflash .
mesaflash is part of pathpilot so it can indirectly flash the 5i25 / 6i25 etc

depending on what ui in pathpilot your using some features are hidden , you may need to add _duality to your hal file names to
get the encoder to show , without seeing your full config it's difficult to pin down any further ..

send me your full config folder and i'll take a look .
but it will be later today , before i can look at it
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 14:37 by cncbasher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iron-Man, DaveLawrence

More
04 Dec 2015 03:31 #66352 by Iron-Man
:) After talking to Peter at MESA, I did not need the (a,b,z) outputs for threading, only position and index. I have threading functioning!!
Now I just need to tidy up the wiring and enclosure.
I would like to ask the question, when gcode is running in pathpilot lathe, does the rpm show in the RPM window?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Iron-Man

More
11 Dec 2015 23:06 - 11 Dec 2015 23:08 #66852 by Iron-Man

Iron-Man
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Dec 2015 23:08 by Iron-Man.

More
12 Dec 2015 13:16 #66864 by cncbasher
but does the Nut fit ! LOL
looks fine , good work so far

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds