Best video card for pathPilot

More
02 Jul 2019 16:37 #138411 by Vmax549
You are correct. DO you use teh minimum spec PC ? When comparring a bare minimum spec verses a performance spec which would you choose.
I was hoping that someone had already done teh investigation on a high end PC spec and what would be the point of no returns say 1gb memory verses 4gb memory. Onboard graphics verses Video card with 4gb memory.

I do knw that poor video performance effects toolpath drawing.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2019 21:28 #138440 by Vmax549
Heard back from Tormach today on teh subject.

"" The current PathPilot computer is a 64 Bit CPU running Linux 17.3 Mint. Dual core is plenty. You won't need any more than on board video, and 4 GB of memory will work fine.""

FAR cry from teh LinuxCNC recomendations.

So at least NOW we know the rest of the story

(;-) TP

More
02 Jul 2019 23:29 #138458 by smgvbest
The answer you got from tormach was posted several times in this forum, including by myself.. a search would of turned that up. but I for one did not understand what you where really after, you do not need a i7 3.4GHZ with 32G of ram for PP, most of that will go to waist, Tormach has stated that and posted in this forum.

Tormach also recently fixed a issue with rendering in PP and added options to handle different rendering options. see their release notes for details. they also did a youtube video on it.

The subject was best video card which is why the comment about if it works on LinuxCNC it will work on PP, Tormach uses the Intel HD video on thier PCs, no special card as they stated. The memory went from 2-3GB in PP V1 due to being 32bit up to 4Gb in V2 because they went 64bit and could use more. the main purpose of memory is to handle larger GCODE files not for performance.

More
02 Jul 2019 23:44 #138462 by smgvbest

you shoudt consider the new linuxcnc 2.9 install and a use of o modern PC system then going to 2005 Technology outaged

BTW, 2.9? current is 2.7.14 and dev is at 2.8
Where is 2.9 you're referring too?

And FWIW, this is a Pathpilot Discussion forum, coming in and trying to sell us on a linuxcnc frontend is in IMO is not being very considerate of this group.

More
03 Jul 2019 00:05 #138469 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Best video card for pathPilot
Actually 2.8 is current and 2.9 is master

More
03 Jul 2019 00:16 #138471 by smgvbest
Where is it? are we talking source code only?

If I goto Linuxcnc.org it says
LinuxCNC 2.7.14 released
Jun 18, 2018

2.8 or 2.9 is not an option

More
03 Jul 2019 00:25 #138472 by Vmax549
"The answer you got from tormach was posted several times in this forum, including by myself.. a search would of turned that up. but I for one did not understand what you where really after, you do not need a i7 3.4GHZ with 32G of ram for PP, most of that will go to waist, Tormach has stated that and posted in this forum."

I did do that search and did not see that answer . Can you list the discussion.

One thing I have learned after being in teh DIY CNC game for MANY years is MORE CPU, more Memory and GPU with plenty of memory allways make a better controller.

It has on every system I have worked with. BUT PathPilot may be the exception but I don't think so.

Just a thought , (;-) TP

More
03 Jul 2019 00:28 #138474 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Best video card for pathPilot

LinuxCNC 2.7.14 released
Jun 18, 2018

Yes the ISOs (and website information) are quite old. I also don't know what the buildbot is building...

But at least for a couple months 2.8 has been the release version and master is 2.9

More
03 Jul 2019 00:29 #138475 by smgvbest
You are in a different world, those systems are not real time OS's. doing work in a guaranteed time slot is what's important here not how fast you can update a gui.

In gaming and other applications I would totally agree with you
but when your machine can do say 250IPM you simply don't need a fast machine most of the time to controller is waiting on the moves complete so the application is very different here.

More
03 Jul 2019 00:32 #138476 by smgvbest

LinuxCNC 2.7.14 released
Jun 18, 2018

Yes the ISOs (and website information) are quite old. I also don't know what the buildbot is building...

But at least for a couple months 2.8 has been the release version and master is 2.9

Ok, Thank you
Are the new gui's part of 2.9 or do I need to pull something else to see these things?
I do not know that I am in the mood to build LinuxCNC myself to play with new stuff so might be a long time before i see it in action

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds