New build, small plasma that got to be very complicated build.

More
16 Oct 2019 00:07 - 19 Oct 2019 13:38 #147957 by tommylight
Well, it started as a small plasma for the sake of this thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/35349-cn...building-them#118668
That was renamed, was open source something or another.
This time i was thinking more of how it will look, not just making it functional and that led to some design ideas that proved quite terrible and time consuming. It should look much better, for sure, but any servicing of dismantling is a pain in the a$$, and it has to be disassembled to be painted, so OH JOY !
Will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here, not finished yet, but all the motors are in place, belts also, floating head is nearly finished, the wiring needs to be done, electronics are done, etc.
Will be also posting this to the above thread at the beginning where the small machine is discussed.
Regards,
Tom.
Here are some pictures:

Machine from one side, floating head with X and Z axis motors mounted.

A close up of motors

A close up of the X axis motor, bearings, GT2 16teeth pulley and belt

Z axis motor and screw, notice the nut is not attached yet, was attached last night but was flexing to much so a new mount is in order.

X axis belt mount and hard stop since this will have no limit switches.

One of the Y axis motors and mount, also round rail mount can be seen, same on both sides of the Y axis. The opposite side of that tube has a bearing mounted for the belt, belt is spring loaded on both sides.
Video of it moving.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 13:38 by tommylight. Reason: added video
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, chimeno, Clive S, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2019 05:05 #147966 by machinedude
will be watching for the pictures i like pictures :woohoo:

More
16 Oct 2019 06:43 #147971 by pl7i92
hi my recent plasma build got 4 workdays
and took me 700USD including table Plasma and CNC rail kit as well as a very low cost TB6600 36V 270Oz Kit
it works for small sheets
thats all I(we) need

More
16 Oct 2019 06:44 - 16 Oct 2019 06:45 #147973 by thefabricator03
Last edit: 16 Oct 2019 06:45 by thefabricator03.

More
16 Oct 2019 06:51 #147976 by pl7i92
i got a video online
it is always the same Education mashine we do in Schools
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
16 Oct 2019 06:54 #147977 by machinedude
i got way more than $700 in my build for sure. and sadly i'm not done yet. between linear rails and everything else i'm probably looking at something like $4,000 by the time i am done minus the plasma cutter on a 4' x 8' table. hopefully :unsure:

More
16 Oct 2019 07:57 #147979 by thefabricator03

i got way more than $700 in my build for sure. and sadly i'm not done yet. between linear rails and everything else i'm probably looking at something like $4,000 by the time i am done minus the plasma cutter on a 4' x 8' table. hopefully :unsure:

Its going to be one hell of a machine though. Money well spent I would say.

More
16 Oct 2019 09:51 #147980 by machinedude
it will get a work out in testing. i have a mini mill head that is getting slapped on for a second function. still processing 140 feet of flat stock for the table and will still be short and need another 40 feet or so. over all weight is going to be over 750lbs but probably under 1,000 pounds minus a water table. it's built like a tank for sure but that was the plan from the beginning.

i figured the mini mill head would give me a good idea of how accurate the whole machine will be. doubt i would ever try steel but aluminum is fair game. hopefully when the table and gantry come together and i get an indicator on the frame i am within +/- .005 or better across the work space.

@tommy
don't feel bad i have the same trouble with my design being complicated , time consuming and just all around being a pain in the a$$. goes with the hobby i guess. if it was easy everyone would be doing it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Oct 2019 18:31 #148031 by tommylight
Added pictures to the original post.

More
16 Oct 2019 22:50 #148057 by thefabricator03
Tom,

Are those rails 35's? Do you think you could of gotten away with 25's?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds