Plasma Current Control on the Fly (synchronous with motion)

More
12 Jul 2021 10:23 #214381 by BenDiesel

[code][code]​​​so I'm a bit new to this but are you referring to then point when the cut velocity drops under a threshold and plasmac stops using arc voltage to controll z height but instead to use amperage to controll ark voltage? Could you also use this method to set amperage for non serial machines from the materials list?

I've actually done some work on this in another way in conjunction with others. The thinking is to implement some of the features of high definition plasma used by the major manufacturers in gcode by using a gcode filter that is applied when you open a file. Plasmac already does this.

This will give us several points in the arc when cutting holes to inject code and also modify the arc radius to account for the widened 
[/code][/code]

[code][code]What would the filter do? I know plasma c removes z height commands. I figured it would switch between controlling the z motor while at full speed and when actual feed was below a threshold fornthe anti dive it would switch controll method from z height to amperage. From what I understand in order to get better cut quality you reduce amperage and go a little slower.  Wouldnt this just match amperage to freed?
[/code][/code]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2021 10:41 #214384 by rodw
Well actually we don't know yet. Plasmac also applies some hole cutting algorithm in its filter already. By reducing current (if you can do that on your machine in real time), you are compensating for the increased  kerf width from slowing down. Adjusting the kerf offset could also compensate for that. We are more interested in providing the tools for others to develop the algorithms which might need to be tied to a machine. But there are also a few other tricks that can be done in gcode. Central to the algorithm will be a database of settings per thickness and hole diameters.

More
12 Jul 2021 22:34 #214440 by BenDiesel
How many amps donyou usally have yo decrease ? I wonder if we could convince hypertherm or any one really to have a pwm signal to adjust the amperage up or down from the set point. Like use serial.com.to set to 30 amp and a pwm to adjust it up or down 5 or 10 amps? Or maybe a % of the set amps?

More
12 Jul 2021 23:22 #214452 by rodw
I don't think anybody knows. It would be trial an error.
Hypertherm offer the feature on their high end plasma machines and not on air plasma.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds