Wiring the Hypertherm interface cable

More
06 Jan 2023 19:15 #261116 by Aldenflorio
Along with that, is plasmac still the best way to configure the thcad-10 and a floating head or is it outdated now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2023 00:36 #261224 by snowgoer540
I deleted your recent new topic post in the Plasmac section as it asked the same exact questions that are already present in this thread, and double posting is not allowed.  The thread did not get lost in the timeline in the ~24 hours since your last post.

More
08 Jan 2023 00:56 #261229 by snowgoer540
There are already a myriad of answers to your questions as this forum is rife with wiring diagrams from others previous successful plasma builds, you need only make use of the search bar, make a cup of coffee, and enjoy the reading.  Do take good notes.

For a direction to start, Rodw has a video he's posted multiple times explaining how to wire a mesa card with plasma in mind. 

The following posts, which are stickied to the top of the Plasma section, should answer your question about if Plasmac is the latest: 

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/42524-importa...plasmac-users#218672
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37233-qtplasmac-updates#232393

Here is the QtPlasmaC manual, which is always worth a good read.  I still reference it frequently:  

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtplasmac.html

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
08 Jan 2023 01:05 #261233 by Aldenflorio
I apologize. I have searched the forms and I have found several. Some, yes with wiring diagrams. Since I’m not the most versed in electrical wiring I just like to ensure that I understand as best as I can. With that in mind I didn’t understand the wiring diagram of the thcad-10 I had, so I made another one to double check I did things right. Like I said, I’m trying to understand pin 14 and how it can show the Mesa card anything if it constantly has a live wire going to it.

one of the reason I ask a lot of questions is because I get a lot of conflicting answers. So I just like to be sure I understand correctly. Again I apologize 

More
08 Jan 2023 16:32 #261275 by RDA
You mean #14 in the Hypertherm connector? Why would you think its a live wire? The description says ”Normally open dry contact”, this mean that there are normally open relay contacts between #12/#14. You can think it as a switch where there is no connection between #12/#14 as the relay is not energized.
When the relay activates (this happens when current is flowing on the work lead) the contacts close and you have a conductive path from #12–>#14.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Jan 2023 12:37 #261555 by Aldenflorio
I apologize if I came across any type of we. I do get a bit frustrated when it seems like I can’t understand something. Though I should do more research before simply asking a question.

I will wire it up the way it’s shown in the picture, and I understand that that’s the correct wiring method. Thank you all for that.

I understand about it being a relay and how that is like a switch. I’m just confused as to why V- from the 24v power supply is suppose to go to pin 14 as opposed to pin 14 only going to the board.

Maybe I’m understanding this section of the board incorrectly though. I assumed that the relay inside the plasma would connect, causing pin 14 to be energized, then the board would get that input. I’m just confused as to why we connect the the V- from the 24v to pin 14 as well.

More
11 Jan 2023 14:00 #261566 by tommylight
Pins 12 and 14 are a simple switch, so one goes to +24V and the other to Mesa input.
Nothing goes to -24V.

More
11 Jan 2023 14:29 #261573 by Aldenflorio
Okay. I think I may have been looking at it wrong then. Though I believe I understand better now. I will not wire that up to -v. I understand that it’s a switch, it’s the fact that it’s just a switch and two wires are coming from pin 14 that confuses me. I don’t understand why this ground wire is going from the board to the plasma.

the green one with the resistor.

to me, that seems like it will mess with the circuit
Attachments:

More
11 Jan 2023 14:37 #261575 by tommylight
In this case, pin 12 goes to -24V, and the input pin must be inverted in hal.
-
Friendly advice, stop reading everything you find on the internet, there is a lot of wrong info there.
Ask here, follow instructions and enjoy using the machine.

More
11 Jan 2023 14:40 #261577 by tommylight
Do you have a Mesa 7i76E or 7i76ED?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds