Gui for standalone thc

More
19 Aug 2024 18:01 #308152 by bentiggin
I am working on retrofitting an old cnc plasma.
It has a standalone thc, a hypertherm phc.
Since the thc controls the z axis, the only outputs I think I need for it are cycle start and corner hold/thc off.
Im using a mesa 7i97t so I haven’t be able use mesact to configure it for qtplasmac.
Ive been trying to get it to work in roundabout ways, but the more I learn about qtplasmac, the more I feel like qtplasmac is a poor choice. I love the plasmac look, but it seems way too complicated to make it work with no z, no probe/ohmic, and not being integrated with gcode that wouldn’t be used with my setup.

So I’m trying to figure out which gui would give me the best start for a simple plasma with minimal inputs and outputs. Should I continue trying to use qtplasmac or would axis, gmoccapy, or? be a better choice.

I used to use sheet cam for a mach3 plasma that I had set for super simple gcode. I’d like to use sheetcam again, and keep the gcode simple. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2024 18:08 #308153 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Gui for standalone thc
Does it also do Initial Height Sensing on its own?

More
19 Aug 2024 18:17 #308154 by bentiggin
Replied by bentiggin on topic Gui for standalone thc
Yes. But it doesn’t have a specific input for it. It has a cycle start input that will cause it to initial height sense and start the arc. It also has a switch for doing the initial height sense.

More
19 Aug 2024 19:14 #308158 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Gui for standalone thc
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/show-your-stuff...ter-with-ihs-and-ahc
Same thing, been in daily use for over 8 years now. It also had its own THC so no wiring or programming was required for it.
Torch cycle is wired in hal and physically to M3, and the arc ok from plasma is wired to motion inhibit in hal so the machine does not move until the torch is actually on and cutting.
It uses Axis GUI as is, not PlasmaC nor QtPlasmaC.

More
19 Aug 2024 20:49 #308167 by bentiggin
Replied by bentiggin on topic Gui for standalone thc
That looks similar to what I’m trying to do.
Id like the gui to not have a whole bunch of unnecessary clutter and just add a few buttons and indicators.
Looking in the linuxcnc manual, under axis customization hints, I see “difficult to customize.”
That statement makes me hesitant, since I’m just a beginner with linuxcnc.

So would you still recommend axis even if I’m a complete beginner? 
Is gmoccapy easier for a beginner to customize? 
Or should someone like me just focus getting a working machine and minimize customizing?
I’d hate to go through this retrofit and have a screen that looks like it should be on a mill, but I can get over that if it’s unrealistic for a newbie set up a custom plasma display.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds