Centre Spotting

More
18 Oct 2019 23:33 #148238 by phillc54
Centre Spotting was created by phillc54
Is anyone actually using the Centre Spotting in PlasmaC.

From what I can gather it doesn't really do anything that cannot be achieved from GCode.

Also it seems that the variations in the way different plasmac cutters work make this feature very inconsistent which makes it hit and miss.

I am thinking that this feature should probably be removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2019 23:43 #148245 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Centre Spotting
I have dealt with a lot of plasma cutters so i know for sure it will not work as "one for all".
As an example, had an Oerlikon 100A that would pass through 6mm the instant it transferred from pilot arc, so it would successfully makes holes on anything, not spots. The Thermal Dynamics 90A i owned for several years was much more manageable as it would lower the pressure when striking an arc.
It would be a nice feature for sure, and if it does not cause issues, i would leave it there so whoever makes it work for his/her setup, lucky him/her!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
18 Oct 2019 23:46 #148246 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Centre Spotting
What is it suppose to do?

More
18 Oct 2019 23:50 #148247 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Centre Spotting
This is the theory, but the practice is variable....

This was in the docs but I removed it earlier...
Warning: Spoiler!

More
19 Oct 2019 02:46 #148268 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Centre Spotting
Phill

I have not tried to use your spotting (center punch) tool yet. I did do some tests with torch timing and found my TD machine to be quite different from your HT one. One thing I do frequently is punch single pierce holes. I don't need any fancy setup to make it work with PlasmaC. I will have the this typical sequence of blocks perhaps many hundred times in a cut file:

G0 X1 Y1 (hole location)
M3S69
G1 X1 Y1 (hole location)
M5
The result is a hole with a diameter about the same as my usual pierce divot.

I will look into this further as I regain use of my right hand. For right how I can't even keep up with orders.

John

More
19 Oct 2019 02:51 #148270 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Centre Spotting
Thanks John,

I think with some machines if a start attempt doesn't result in an Arc OK then they can't retry until the post flow finishes which totally negates what the PlasmaC spotting feature does.

More
19 Oct 2019 02:57 - 19 Oct 2019 02:58 #148271 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Centre Spotting
Phill

My TD machine will try at every command regardless of post flow state. I was able to manually spot (center punch) marks in 2mm sheet using a very short pulse. The resolution of the pulse command was to low for repeatable testing. An .2 second difference in pulse length made the difference between no mark, a small crater and punching all the way through 2mm steel.

John
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 02:58 by islander261.

More
19 Oct 2019 07:41 #148295 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Centre Spotting
Plasma cutters use R/C timers, meaning a small current passes through a resistor to charge a capacitor until it reaches the gate/base thresh-hold and that in turn activates the transistor and relay and the rest.
The issue with that is that it is not precise for what we need here, the time it takes from getting the torch on signal till actually firing varies by quite a bit. In normal use it is hard to notice, but it is noticeable.

More
19 Oct 2019 08:14 - 19 Oct 2019 08:15 #148302 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Centre Spotting
Phill, I'm sorry you did send me some code to try and so far I have not yet tried it out. I've done enough to know it will work on my TD machine, its just how well it works is the question. :)

The new algorithm eliminates the variable delay from torch on to arc establishment by waiting for the arc to start but I don't know if that will work for non-TD machines.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 08:15 by rodw.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds