PlasmaC Guide Voltage Divider Question for Mesa THCAD-10

More
23 Apr 2020 20:57 #165305 by dvn4life1972
Thanks for the reply Rod! I based my decision in large part on information I read that you have posted (for the THCAD-10). I was hoping you would chime in.

I've read some of the primer recently as well, very nice repository of information and there's quite a bit there. At this point I believe I'm very near time to test motion...fingers crossed.

Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2020 21:48 #165309 by rodw
The resistors are in series regardless if they are all on one of the IN terminals of the THCAD or if they are split on both sides so it does not matter. YOu always sum resistors in series
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
31 Mar 2021 21:45 #204314 by tommylight
Phill, is this the Jameson you mention sometimes ?
It sure sounds like one ! :)

More
31 Mar 2021 23:38 #204334 by phillc54

Phill, is this the Jameson you mention sometimes ?
It sure sounds like one ! :)

Haha, no I am not into spam Jameson Tom. :) :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 Apr 2021 00:36 #204337 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
03 Dec 2021 07:38 #228263 by alchemy
Hi Pat
How did you get on with your voltage divider?

I'm at a similar starting stage to what you were when you posted these questions, I have a THCAD-10 card and a Razor cut 45 plasma cutter with raw voltage and an about to start putting together all my electronics. The one part I'm nervous apart is the voltage divider but it seems straightforward from what I've read here.

More
03 Dec 2021 07:46 #228264 by rodw
Pretty sure the Razr has some outputs hidden behind a cover but I've not seen one personally.
use the formula in the thcad manual with a 200 volt full scale to determine the scaling resistor.
Than check the resistance between the output and the electrodes. If any resistance is shown, it must be included as part of the scaling resistor. Eg if you have 100k Ohms on each terminal, deduct 200 k Ohms from the scaling resistance before selecting your resistors.

More
03 Dec 2021 11:53 #228277 by dvn4life1972
To be perfectly honest, I just followed what the guys here said and have been fine ever since with it. My machine didn't come with a built-in divider, as it's an older Hypertherm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
03 Dec 2021 19:52 #228310 by alchemy
Thanks, I'll do that. One more question, do I need to use a heavy guage of wiring from the plasma connections to the resistors and THCAD?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds