User Manual

More
27 Apr 2020 09:26 #165769 by phillc54
User Manual was created by phillc54
Now that reverse run is in 2.8 branch and this version provides the same functionality for PlasmaC as master branch I am thinking about reworking the User Manual so that installing and using PlasmaC only refers to the Buildbot version of 2.8
I think this will greatly simplify the procedure for new users and make it much less confusing.
I think the reality is that anyone who thinks they need either master branch or a run in place installation should know what they are doing and not require any installation instructions in the user manual

Comments welcome...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2020 09:31 #165771 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic User Manual

I think the reality is that anyone who thinks they need either master branch or a run in place installation should know what they are doing and not require any installation instructions in the user manual

I agree, that would prevent so many issues for new users. Seen to many going the run in place route and getting frustrated.
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
27 Apr 2020 09:43 #165772 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic User Manual
+1 for me, Buildbot 2.8 is the way to go :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
27 Apr 2020 10:29 #165777 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic User Manual

Now that reverse run is in 2.8 branch and this version provides the same functionality for PlasmaC as master branch I am thinking about reworking the User Manual so that installing and using PlasmaC only refers to the Buildbot version of 2.8
I think this will greatly simplify the procedure for new users and make it much less confusing.

Comments welcome...

Just lean on Andy to get 2.8 released. He seems to have done an amazing job chasing through on the release. I hope he can get it done soon. When I look at the list of issues that must be fixed for 2.8, there is only one left ATM.

If you can get that done, you can delete the installation instructions....

More
27 Apr 2020 10:37 #165779 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic User Manual

Just lean on Andy to get 2.8 released. He seems to have done an amazing job chasing through on the release. I hope he can get it done soon. When I look at the list of issues that must be fixed for 2.8, there is only one left ATM.

If you can get that done, you can delete the installation instructions....

Yes, Andy is doing a great job, it has progressed really well since he took the reins.

I think it will pay to keep install instructions there, for a new user it is probably better to have it flow in one place.

More
27 Apr 2020 10:46 #165781 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic User Manual

I agree, that would prevent so many issues for new users. Seen to many going the run in place route and getting frustrated.
Thank you.

My personal frustration with RIP has been resolved, because people were nice enough here to take the time to explain it to me. Two things made it "click". 1. you have to run RIP Environment once per terminal session before doing basically anything. 2. Configurator will remake your links from wherever you ran it.

But that said, buildbot was a lot easier for a noob to grasp when I was on that.

The only other benefit of 2.9 is that it comes with the ohmic.comp currently. Otherwise it seems like 2.8 would be the way to go.

More
27 Apr 2020 10:49 #165782 by phillc54
Ohmic is in 2.8 as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
27 Apr 2020 10:51 #165785 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic User Manual

Ohmic is in 2.8 as well.

Nice! Who knew? :laugh: Thanks Phill

More
27 Apr 2020 10:54 #165787 by phillc54

Nice! Who knew?

Everyone on the developers list. ;)

More
27 Apr 2020 11:18 #165798 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic User Manual

Ohmic is in 2.8 as well.

I gotta update the component after all of our testing.

There are actually two features that have made it to master that I'm interested in. But neither of them are useful for users and I'm not sure that I have the skills to do the coding. One is a new hal pin type called hal_port which might be useful for RS485 comms and the other is state tags which may allow me to solve an earlier failed experiment. But it requires some intimate knowledge of the /src/emc folder which is quite scary. (But I have too much to get done before I think of that one!)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds