Access files on a Windows Network

More
12 May 2020 02:16 #167446 by CFE
Hi all,

We have our plasma cutter up and running, homing is working (except for the physical limit switches, but we'll get around that issue in due course). PlasmaC is working well, and the THC worked pretty much from the start and makes all the difference. We are pretty pleased where it is at the moment, despite all the difficulties we have encountered.

There is something we would like to add to the PlasmaC interface, and that is the possibility to acces files on a Windows Network. We can access files from a Windows Network with the file manager that comes with Linux, but the Windows Network doesn't show up when we go the files section of PlasmaC. Ideally we would like to access that network so we don't have to use a USB stick to load programs, because most of our programs are programmed with Fusion 360. And if we change a program, we like it to stay on the Windows Network so we always have the latest version.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this, I have read through some posts but it all looks like garble to me and it's difficult to find something that works. At least, for us mere mortals it is, we don't have a tertiary degree in Linux related matters :)

Cheers, Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2020 02:34 #167448 by phillc54
If the Windows share is mounted to a directory on the Linux you should be able to find it in the open file dialog.

Open a terminal and type mount and it will show all mounted file sytems, if you don'r see the Windos share then you would need to mount it using something like: linuxize.com/post/how-to-mount-cifs-windows-share-on-linux/

More
12 May 2020 03:20 #167455 by Todd Zuercher
There are a couple of ways to do this. Basically you have to have a mounting point for the Windows network share. One way is to create a perminant mount point using fstab, this works great for dedicated network shares such as on a NAS. Another way is to use the mountpoint created by gvfs-fuse, this works good for more temporal connections. The biggest problem with it is that It seems to be in a different place on every distro version I seem to look at, (when I can get it to work at all.)

More
12 May 2020 06:47 #167470 by bbsr_5a
i use nitro share for coping to the machines from windows
it is easy and you see on both PC the popup

you can also use a Fixed NGC name and copy that over then you only need to Click reload and see the new g-code

More
12 May 2020 07:37 #167475 by rodw
I've never been able to get Linux talking to a Windows 10 box. But it was seamless with my Synology NAS at home as the machine had its own account and home folder on the network.

These days, I just push dxf files to Google Drive and pull them down onto the Linuxcnc box.

More
12 May 2020 07:49 #167478 by BeagleBrainz
I use a product called SneakrNet. Has never failed me and works with just about every OS with no config files to setup.

More
12 May 2020 07:57 #167480 by rodw

I use a product called SneakrNet. Has never failed me and works with just about every OS with no config files to setup.

I'm sure that would be more reliable than trying to hook up to a windows share. But really, I thought you were an IT expert so I'm quite shocked....

More
12 May 2020 08:21 #167485 by tommylight

I'm sure that would be more reliable than trying to hook up to a windows share. But really, I thought you were an IT expert so I'm quite shocked....

Same here...... :)
The main issue is not Linux, it is windows as it has messed up everything sharing related from win7 and up. Hell, making a windows share on Linux is much, much easier that doing it on win!

More
12 May 2020 13:23 #167518 by BeagleBrainz
OP stated it all looks like “garble” to him. What’s the point of trying to explain the ins and outs when the OP has that kind of mind block ?
And to tell the truth I only just upgraded old mum’s computer from a vista box to windows 10. Not much of a user of MS products myself.
The first issue is getting samba to talk the right level of smb protocol. Which means having a fiddle with your smb.conf
Now if you are on Debian, some extra gvfs modules need installing if you want to browse and open the share via the file manager.
Once you have that sorted it’s time to setup the windows side of things, which I think means turning on network discovery and the like. Like I said I ain’t done much with win7/8/10.
I threw the towel in with vista.
The easiest option would be a share on the linux box and copy the files from windows to the samba share.
Digitalocean, once again, has a great tutorial. As all things Linux you will have to manually edit a file.
So that was my reasoning for suggesting SneakrNet. To me the OP had little understanding and did not wish or have the aptitude to get into the nitty gritty.
Damn the inter webs are full of info on connecting windows and samba.
As for my setup, I don’t have network access to my cnc box. I just can’t be bothered climbing in roof spaces, on roofs, removing roof tiles and the rest.
Scp from Windows to Linux is also another option. I’m pretty sure there’s a point and click solution fo the windows end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
12 May 2020 13:31 #167519 by tommylight
Filezilla is a good option and very easy to do on linux at least, requires installing ssh server and nothing more, user names and passwords stay the same, or can be changed, uses only port 22 and closes the port immediately after transfer.
Very easy to use also.
Keep in mind i do not use windows, but i am pretty sure there is a version of Filezilla for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds