Running CNC Plasma off generator

More
09 Jun 2020 07:42 #170778 by little_sparky
Hi guys,

I am moving to a larger shed and my only real option is to either power my workshop off a large diesel generator or fork out $35k for 3 phase power.

So my question is, can you run a cnc plasma off a large diesel generator? My main concern is if it will play around with my THC at all.

Here is a link to the generator I will be using. The model is SQ3300B. It has more than enough power to power my plasma I just want to know if the electricity will be stable enough to use with a cnc plasma. I’m assuming the power coming out of the plasma will be pretty clean and the only issue I imagine I’d have would be on startup where the THC will be inactive anyway.

I’ve checked out what people on other forums have said but can’t really get a clear answer and I respect the opinions of people on this forum a lot.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2020 07:47 #170780 by thefabricator03
I run my plasma controller and plasma PC through a $3k UPS. I will take a picture when I get a chance but I had issue with power quality in the past and that has solved them.

You would need to get a UPS that is capable of being powered from a generator but from my conversation with the company I brought my UPS from it is possible, you just need deep pockets.

More
09 Jun 2020 08:59 #170785 by little_sparky
Thanks heaps for your reply, didn’t even know those things existed. These UPS could be a game changer for me.

I’d only run my controller and PC through it too, so I think I’d only need something small like this ups from office works. I’ll just have to do some research to see if I can find something similar that would be capable of being run through a generator.

More
09 Jun 2020 09:18 #170787 by thefabricator03

Thanks heaps for your reply, didn’t even know those things existed. These UPS could be a game changer for me.

I’d only run my controller and PC through it too, so I think I’d only need something small like this ups from office works. I’ll just have to do some research to see if I can find something similar that would be capable of being run through a generator.

For that price I would give it a go. Maybe test it on something cheaper for bit and run different loads on the generator and see how it goes. It would be interesting to see if the cheaper units can be used.

More
09 Jun 2020 10:52 #170809 by tommylight
Check the plasma power requirement, add another 50% to it and see if your gen can provide that.
Seen plenty of those generators burn the regulation electronics on instant loads, mainly when welders or compressors are attached to them. That 50% will save it from that.
Inverter plasma is much better as it has plenty of capacitors to soften the draw.

More
09 Jun 2020 10:55 #170810 by little_sparky
Thanks Tommy.

I am using rod’s old Everlast 50s at the minute and have a hypertherm 1100 that I intend to use. It says that it draws 11.2kw and my generator is rated at 30kva so I’m hoping it should be fine.

An inverter plasma is definitely on my watch list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Jun 2020 11:29 #170815 by tommylight
That should be fine.
Till some 4 years ago, power cuts were a normal thing here, hence we have a lot of generators, and we have also a lot of Chinese and Turkish ones that failed in smoky ways! :)
I have an old Honda 6KW one that has not been used in 4 years, but welder do work with it as it has mechanical regulation, so i keep it just in case. The big one i sold a long time ago, also a Honda.

More
09 Jun 2020 12:01 #170820 by rodw
Most of the plasmas will quote the required generator power. The everlast won't be a problem.
I've been running one of those UPS's for a few years on my home network rack. I replace the batteries every now and again. They are easy to repalce and a standard size so you can get them from Jaycar or a battery shop.. Last time I replaced the whole unit. When they go down, they go down hard and usually in the middle of the night.

The last one I bought I wanted for my rack at work and I bought this one.www.mwave.com.au/product/powershield-def...s-800va-480w-ac28093

Its good as the battery is replaced from the front panel.

But in your case, I think I would spend a bit more for a true online UPS that is running on an inverter off the battery all the time v's the Cyberpower which is a standby UPS that has to sense the voltage drop before cutting in. Something like this
www.mwave.com.au/product/powershield-cen...on-tower-ups-ac33493
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
09 Jun 2020 12:30 #170827 by rodw

Thanks Tommy.

I am using rod’s old Everlast 50s at the minute and have a hypertherm 1100 that I intend to use.

Let me know if you want to sell the Everlast. I might know a potential buyer who bought THCAD from me today.

More
09 Jun 2020 12:48 #170830 by little_sparky
Thanks Rod, I will look further into the true online ups.

And I’ll let you know if I want to sell it, at this stage I’m in no rush and am probably more likely to build a second smaller table than sell it, but if I do I’ll let you know.

On a side note while I have you, do you remember any voltage settings that you ran for the THC while cutting with the Everlast? I spent all night going over almost all of your posts and couldn’t really find a value tied to a material thickness. Thanks in advance

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds