THCAD-300 Jumper

More
10 Jul 2020 18:24 #174241 by KaleD
THCAD-300 Jumper was created by KaleD
I'm setting up a THCAD with raw arc voltage. What is the best jumper setting to use? My Hypertherm 600 is a pretty old machine and has no divided voltage. As far as the jumpers go I don't quite understand the rationale behind choosing what to use. I've read the Plasmac user guide and a few posts but I haven't quite figured it out. any links or explanations would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2020 19:23 #174256 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THCAD-300 Jumper
Kale, more info, please.
To what you are connecting the THCAD ?
If to a Mesa card, then 1/32 is the best option regarding noise immunity and resolution.
If to a parallel port, that will greatly depend on how good the latency of that PC is.
Also, be very careful where you wire the THCAD inside the plasma source, there is only one place inside it that the THCAD can be safely wired, otherwise it is very likely to mess up the card.
Pictures of the insides of the plasma source would help to pinpoint the location.
Or maybe your plasma has an output for THC with full voltage scale (no divider), so that is easy.

More
10 Jul 2020 20:17 #174265 by KaleD
Replied by KaleD on topic THCAD-300 Jumper
I'm using a Mesa 7i96. Here are some pictures inside the plasma:

Above,
The left screw terminal is the wire for the ground clamp. The middle with the red wire is labeled 500v. The white wires I can't say for certain what they are.

There is no plug for raw voltage.
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2020 20:21 #174266 by KaleD
The plug with the purple wires are for a relay to fire the torch. The blue wires are currently irrelevant.

More
10 Jul 2020 20:58 #174272 by KaleD
I found the Schematic. This clears up what the wires from the screw terminal are. I still need to figure out whether the THCAD should be hooked to the electrode or ground.
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2020 21:45 #174276 by tommylight

The left screw terminal is the wire for the ground clamp. The middle with the red wire is labeled 500v.

I really hope Hypertherm did not put that terminal there, that is a 16A/500V terminal, hence that is not a label for anything except the terminal block. The left wires (you said go to the clamp) should be yanked from that terminal strip and put on a 60A to 100A terminal.

The SanRex part is the rectifier for 600V/60A, so you can attach the THCAD inputs to the + and - terminals on that rectifier, not on the ~ terminals. Use proper plugs for that and tighten the screws properly.

More
10 Jul 2020 21:59 - 11 Jul 2020 00:43 #174279 by KaleD

I really hope Hypertherm did not put that terminal there,

To my knowledge, Hypertherm did put that terminal there. I don't think the torch has ever been sent for servicing for a repair guy to rig up something screwy. The torch was brand new maybe 10 years ago and no one has done any DIY "repairing".

For clarity, the THCAD +IN should go to SanRex + and the THCAD -IN should go to SanRex -
Correct?
Last edit: 11 Jul 2020 00:43 by KaleD.

More
11 Jul 2020 11:00 #174294 by tommylight
Yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KaleD

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds