Dual Purpose Router & Plasma. How to Configure???

More
20 Aug 2020 01:38 #178785 by turbodude
Hi Guys,

I am setting up a dual purpose machine that I can chose to run as either a CNC Router or a CNC Plasma. I now have a good working LinuxCNC setup with limit switches, good speeds etc for the Router and want to start on setting up the plasma (PlasmaC). I am not concerned with any electrical/wiring but rather the PlasmaC software setup.

I am trying to work out what the appropriate process is to get to a PlasmaC configuration without starting from scratch as I did with the router.

Can I use the router configuration (hal & ini) as a basis for the PlasmaC configuration?

Do I run PNCconf again and create a new profile for the Plasma & then fiddle the hal & ini?

I am running a Mesa 7i76e & THCAD10 in case that matters.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2020 01:42 #178786 by phillc54
You "should" be able to use a copy of the router hal and ini as the input files for the configurator to make a new PlasmaC config.

The configurator should automatically comment out all the spindle stuff.

More
20 Aug 2020 07:00 #178802 by turbodude
Awesome, I will try that over the weekend.
Thanks for the quick reply

More
21 Aug 2020 10:24 #178914 by turbodude
I am having trouble wrapping my head around what you mean by " use a copy of the router hal and ini as the input files for the configurator to make a new PlasmaC config". Do you mean to take my working router ini & hal files and copy them into /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs/by_machine/plasmac/axis (where the configurator gets its files from) and renaming them to overwrite metric_plasmac.ini and one of the hal files. There are multiple hal files in there so I don't know which one I would overwrite? Sorry, but I am very confused...

More
21 Aug 2020 10:42 #178917 by phillc54
Just run the Configurator and use those two files as the input files. Configurator will create a new config and make a copy those two as backups. I just suggested to make a copy of them to start with as a safety measure because you use them for another config. You could copy them to you home directory for instance.

More
21 Aug 2020 11:58 #178918 by turbodude
Ahh,I was thinking of the configuration selector that comes up when you first run LinuxCNC as that is mentioned in the PlasmaC manual before it says to run the Configurator from command line. I will try that tomorrow. Cheers.

More
21 Aug 2020 15:29 #178930 by hermann1976
I recently set up my plasma machine. It worked straight away with the configurator.
I have had the experience, if you want to use the gmoccappy user interface, set this up before converting to plasmac.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma..._to_the_base_machine

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 1.382 seconds