Plasmac upgrade woes

More
15 Oct 2020 06:10 #186153 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Plasmac upgrade woes
Phew, that was hard work! I think I got it ready to go but I'm not game to try it today!
Brand new config and after a lot of stuffing around I have added the following enhancements.
1. Finally added ilowpass to my pendant. I tried once before and it went through the roof as the default settings move it 1 meter per MPG click. This time I was more careful and only moved 1 click!
2. Added amp fault in from the Lam drivers to each joint to catch any faults.
3. Added the Lam boost feature so we run our bigger steppers at 6 amps while accelerating and decelerating and 3 amps while at cut speed where there is no load.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2020 09:56 #186173 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Plasmac upgrade woes
It would be nice to get a copy of your original config plus the actual steps you did so that I can find out where the failure was.

More
15 Oct 2020 10:23 #186175 by rodw
Phill, This is a 7i76e config where I ran out of pins and had to delete seldom used features. My breakaway was stikk wired to estop in a complex chain. I did not make a backup. I did not expect to be launched into an upgrade process without any opportunity to say no, I don't know if that was 2.8 or plasmac but it was unexpected when I opened my config. It could have been because I downgraded from 2.9

The fact of the matter is that because I started with plasma way before Plasmac was around, my config has always been atypical and any upgrade has taken a bit of manual work. There was another body of work I had to do to integrate the Lam drivers. Linuxcnc was also complaining about the order of my joints despite being perfectly happy when I set it up just after the joint axis branch was merged into master branch (which was 2.8 at the time). That was about 5 years ago. I thought it would be a good idea to go right back to basics, align the joints the way Linuxcnc now wants them and incorporate the components and 8 new pins I had wired in for the Lams. Then run the official configurator. As it is, I have another 2 hal files in my config and still expect to do more configuration when I bring in my postgui.
So in reality, I don't think it would have been fair to involve you. I will say I was a bit grumpy at the time. But after 3 days and an evening, I think the spaceship is ready for the future (and launch into orbit).

More
15 Oct 2020 10:27 #186176 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Plasmac upgrade woes
OK, I won't worry about it at this stage then. PlasmaC upgrades have been automatic since January unless they are specified as manual in the ini file.

More
15 Oct 2020 12:27 #186192 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Plasmac upgrade woes

3. Added the Lam boost feature so we run our bigger steppers at 6 amps while accelerating and decelerating and 3 amps while at cut speed where there is no load.

That can also be adjusted in the drives, the default is 50% but can be set from 10 to 90%, IIRC.

More
15 Oct 2020 12:33 #186194 by rodw

That can also be adjusted in the drives, the default is 50% but can be set from 10 to 90%, IIRC.

Yes I know. How low can we go do you think Tommy? Someone I asked thought 80% might be a reasonable target. I was hoping we could do better than that

More
15 Oct 2020 13:01 #186199 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Plasmac upgrade woes
I would set it at 30 or 40, everything else seems unreasonable to me.
And please do lower the max current on those drives, they will actually push the set current at any speed, so the motors will get cooked very fast.
I have them set at 2A on 2.4A Sanyo motors and they get to 79 degrees during work. So 20% lower than the motor rated should be on the safe side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.758 seconds