Breakaway error

More
09 Nov 2020 17:45 #188771 by KaleD
Breakaway error was created by KaleD
I'm in Linuxcnc 2.8 and using Gmoccapy. I have a Mesa 7i96 and thcad.

I just built a breakaway for my machine and I keep getting an error. It reads: breakaway switch activated program is paused.
It happens right after the probe and the torch fires for less than a second before the error.
The LED and Halshow don't light up. I can get them to light by manually breaking the torch.
Thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2020 18:23 #188777 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Breakaway error
Without seeing your breakaway design, it's hard to say. Post some pictures of what you've got going on.

Is it possible that the pressure from the torch is causing your switch to become un-tripped?

Is your Breakaway LED lit before you start cutting?

You could do a halplot, but I'm sure it will show that the breakaway switch is tripped some time after the torch fires.

Have you tried wiring the breakaway switch out the equation?

Again, not sure how helpful we can be without seeing anything.

More
09 Nov 2020 19:26 #188784 by KaleD
Replied by KaleD on topic Breakaway error
There are two switches that are depressed by the springs and in open mode. When the torch collides to switches are no longer depressed and a 5v signal is sent to the board.

The breakaway LED is not tripped before I start.
Attachments:

More
09 Nov 2020 20:16 #188790 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Breakaway error
That is from EMI interference, so will need shielded wiring and shielding around the switches.
BTW, this is the 5 or 6 topic you started regarding the same machine, and this one is after you have been told to keep everything in one topic! You are making a mess for you and for us who are trying to help as some issues are related and you are presenting them as separate, hence the answers will be messed up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
09 Nov 2020 20:55 #188805 by KaleD
I'll try to shield everything. Thanks Tommy.

I'm sorry about having so many posts. I must not have read the rebuke. I had it in my head that I should be starting new threads. I was wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Nov 2020 21:57 - 10 Nov 2020 00:26 #188813 by snowgoer540
I guess I missed the other posts. But one thing I do wonder is why you wired them normally open. Industry practice is to wire these sort of safety switches normally closed, so if a wire ever breaks, becomes disconnected, smashed, etc. the machine will fault out and prevent you from further issue....
Last edit: 10 Nov 2020 00:26 by snowgoer540.

More
09 Nov 2020 22:08 #188817 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Breakaway error
No worries, it just makes it really hard for us to follow and keep track of what we already did answer and what not.
First check the grounding, that is the main thing for proper operation of a plasma cutter, then use shielded cable and attach the shielding to ONLY the electronics side or the control box, always do grounding from a single point namely from the main power cord and go from there to other parts of the machine, use a shield for each cable and attach all of them to that single point in the box. No daisy chaining.

More
09 Nov 2020 23:50 #188825 by KaleD
I wired it normally closed. It works this way. I think this helps with the EMI noise a little too.

More
10 Nov 2020 00:27 #188828 by snowgoer540

I wired it normally closed. It works this way. I think this helps with the EMI noise a little too.

Good, glad to hear! And it’s a wee bit safer too!

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds