PC & OpenGL requirements for QTPlasmaC

More
21 Mar 2021 00:31 #203070 by beefy
I'm hoping to pick up a couple of Dell Optiplex 960 computers tomorrow.

Should these be OK to run QTPlamaC or may I need to also buy a more modern graphics card. I heard that this can take some load off the computer and make it run better. I also don't know if I'd need a more recent version of OpenGL to run QTPlasmaC.

On a sidenote, had a reasonable read of the QTPlasmaC user guide and all I can say is WOW. Nearly everything I'd planned to program into UCCNC is already in QTPlasmaC plus a few other exciting goodies. I can't wait to get up and running and learn more about Linuxcnc. Great job to the developers of QTPlasmaC, looks very impressive.

Cheers,

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2021 19:54 - 21 Mar 2021 19:57 #203149 by robertspark
avoid nVidia graphics cards and ATI they don't help with latency and make things worse {I think they can be standard fitment on some dell optiplex machines as they were highly rated {just not with linux + realtime + linuxcnc}

from the linuxcnc manual:

Graphics card capable of at least 1024x768 resolution, which is not using the NVidia or ATI fglrx proprietary drivers. Modern onboard graphic chipsets seem to generally be OK.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/getting-sta...:system-requirements
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 19:57 by robertspark.

More
22 Mar 2021 13:39 #203243 by beefy
Cheers Rob,

I'd heard of the Nvidia issues but not the ATI cards so that's good to know.

Keith

More
22 Mar 2021 15:51 #203255 by tommylight
Most of Nvidia and some of the ATI/AMD cause latency issues, also some Intel integrated graphic do that but not very often.

More
28 Jan 2022 02:08 #233333 by kramerda
Can anyone list which video card or chip set works for them using Qtplasmac and what latency they achieve. I'm building a new windows pc from scratch but don't want to guess given my limited budget and limited selection of currently available cards or chips etc.
Thanks
Dennis

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds