Feed Rates

More
08 May 2021 00:52 #208272 by phillc54
Feed Rates was created by phillc54
Do any of you guys that have configs in dinosaur units (sorry, imperial units :) ) ever use the decimal place for any of the feed rates.

I am thinking we could get rid of the dp in the GUI but I am not sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2021 09:14 #208290 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Feed Rates

Do any of you guys that have configs in dinosaur units (sorry, imperial units :) ) ever use the decimal place for any of the feed rates.

I am thinking we could get rid of the dp in the GUI but I am not sure.

I dont think I have ever used decimal point in feedrate on any of my machines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
08 May 2021 10:44 #208299 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Feed Rates
Plus one

More
08 May 2021 11:39 #208301 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Feed Rates
+1

but, how does small arcs get dealt with (60% of linear feedrate).... the feedrate then may become an odd number?

More
08 May 2021 11:41 #208303 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Feed Rates

+1

but, how does small arcs get dealt with (60% of linear feedrate).... the feedrate then may become an odd number?

This is only in respect to what is displayed in the GUI parameters tab and preview overlay.

More
08 May 2021 12:32 #208304 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Feed Rates
probably want to get the feedback of those cutting thick materials at low feed rates as that is the only people it's likely to affect.... given cutting at sub 10ipm 0.99 ipm and lower is 10% of the feedrate

for me that would be 1/2in and thicker.... and I don't see me doing that at any point

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...bCtwiCHT2yJxtu2-09pG

others obviously may have a different view.... YMMV each to their own, it's a diverse area

More
08 May 2021 23:54 - 08 May 2021 23:56 #208346 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Feed Rates

probably want to get the feedback of those cutting thick materials at low feed rates as that is the only people it's likely to affect.... given cutting at sub 10ipm 0.99 ipm and lower is 10% of the feedrate

for me that would be 1/2in and thicker.... and I don't see me doing that at any point

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...bCtwiCHT2yJxtu2-09pG

others obviously may have a different view.... YMMV each to their own, it's a diverse area

I dont think currently any of my materials use a decimal place, but you raise a fairly decent point. On your cut chart the slowest I saw was 4ipm. I really have no idea off hand how .X of an inch per minute would affect cutting in that material, but .5 ipm is still 12.5% of the feed rate.

This question was really born out of cross-loading files. In the scenario that raised the question, when you cross load a metric cut file into an imperial setup, and the cut file has a feed rate of say 1275.0 mm/min, the overlay in the preview window will display "1275." and cut off the trailing 0 but still show the decimal place. The materials settings in the parameters tab shows it fine as "1275.0".

Phill has a work around that would take any feed rate > 4 digits (Counting the decimal place) and truncate it to 4 digits.

So on the overlay in the preview window would show 1275.0 as 1275 Everything else would stay the same and show 1275.0

I would think that's probably the best solution as it doesn't accidentally handicap/cause confusion for people who cut thick stuff slowly. Since cutting at 1275ipm would be unlikely, the end user is unlikely to notice any change unless they load a metric file.
Last edit: 08 May 2021 23:56 by snowgoer540.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds