Cool plasma machine

More
24 Oct 2021 03:17 - 24 Oct 2021 03:19 #224059 by bevins
Cool plasma machine was created by bevins
You think QTPlasmac would be able to do this?  If I had the mechanical axis figured out would all I need is a cam for this to work with QTPlasmac?

Cool Plasma for tubes and pipes

Last edit: 24 Oct 2021 03:19 by bevins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2021 04:03 #224061 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Cool plasma machine
Apparently Sheetcam has a rotary plasma addon.

More
24 Oct 2021 04:19 #224062 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Cool plasma machine
I see Grotius post on this.

More
24 Oct 2021 05:27 - 24 Oct 2021 07:24 #224067 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Cool plasma machine
QtPlasmaC supports 5 axes so if you feed it the right gcode then it should be fine.

EDIT:
Thinking about this a bit more...
We hide all Z motion currently so you would need to rely on THC for all Z motion.
It would be possible to add to the filter code so that a magic comment in the gcode would prevent Z motion from being commented out.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2021 07:24 by phillc54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
24 Oct 2021 11:30 #224084 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Cool plasma machine
I have been working on such a thing for quite some time now ... well more like been thinking and testing some ideas on how to make the big rotating part, very hard to find anything i need around here ...
So far i can dispense some info that i figured out the hard way and some general info:
-round tube machines are easy up to roughly 200mm, above that and the machines start getting very complicated and very heave really fast, had a request lately to build one at 12 meters by 0.5 meters so i asked what would the weight of the pipe be, it came out at over 1 ton ...
-square tube has to be 4 OR 5 axis machine, depending on if you also want beveling, but it can be 3 axis for up to 60x60mm with a fast THC, maybe can be pushed to 80x80 but i did not test.
-square - requires very powerful motors to rotate and push/pull the material so any mishap ends up badly for the machine - this is the part that is never ever shown in videos
-square - the only tricky part is the front holder/clamp/centering/rotating/free-moving/.....add more here ! :)
-
So if by any chance you end up jumping into it, i would really appreciate the heads up.
And good luck, this really requires some luck.
P.S.
I already went through two hardware iterations of the clamppy/rottary/whatever/thingie that failed miserably! :)

More
24 Oct 2021 12:26 - 24 Oct 2021 12:32 #224086 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Cool plasma machine

QtPlasmaC supports 5 axes so if you feed it the right gcode then it should be fine.

EDIT:
Thinking about this a bit more...
We hide all Z motion currently so you would need to rely on THC for all Z motion.
It would be possible to add to the filter code so that a magic comment in the gcode would prevent Z motion from being commented out.

We do have a magic comment for that currently, I had asked for it a while back (before QtPlasmaC) as it makes using a spring loaded marker on the table far easier:

#<keep-z-motion> = 1

But I think that's only half of the solution and we would also need a way to either:

1. only have the automated Z movement be the probe to set the top surface of the material, and then follow the Z movements in the G-Code from there.
or
2. let the user set the top surface manually in these cases, and do no Z movements whatsoever on an M3 command.
or
3. #2, but instead of M3, map a different M code to turn the torch on and off when following Z movements

Anyhow, I'm literally spit-balling from the top of my head, I'm sure it gets way more complicated than that.

Fun video though, I wish they showed how they made the waterfall of coolant through the tubes/pipes being cut. Interesting approach.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2021 12:32 by snowgoer540.

More
26 Oct 2021 08:38 #224354 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cool plasma machine
My understanding was round tube did not require a THC as the height is constant. I'm pretty sure Grotius has done one this way before he migrated to Linuxcnc (eg. on Mach3).
If you are running square section, you really need the THC to be fast enough to manage the change in height but square corners on ally might not let you cut around the corners.
Plenty of people are cutting tube without a 5 axis so I don't see it would be a difficult problem.

The maths behind notching pipe which is really not that hard. There are plenty of others but here is a coping calculator I have used.
metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

You print a pdf on card, wrap it round your pipe, trace the card onto the pipe with a felt pen and go for it with a angle grinder. I found a 90 degree join was really easy to cut out (surprisied me!) but a 45 degree notch was a bit deeper and harder to cut out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wasausky

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds