python version

More
26 Oct 2021 20:43 #224424 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic python version
I've been using J1900s for over 5 years without any problems. Its all I've ever used. My current config has the lowest latency I've ever achieved.
But eventually Mint 17.3 was unupgradable.
I had a perfectly working version of QTPlasmac running on Mint 19.3 until the dependency for Python 3.7 was added preventing a RIP upgrade and I could not resolve python versions on a machine that already had 2.7 and 3.6.
So on your guys recommendation, I moved to MXlinux but it did not give me reliable Wifi networking. Sometimes a driver was there, sometimes it wasn't after the preempt-rt kernel was deployed. Yes I had questions but that was before Snowy built that comprehensive instruction set.

Despite how Phil says the drivers are identical, there must be some differences in driver deployment with MXLinux, as the hardware installed perfectly on Mint and Debian 11.
The move to Debian 11 went smoothly, the hardware was supported until I broke it. But its fixed now and I am happy.
Perhaps if I had been a couple of weeks later a lot of the Python instability  would have subsided.

Long term I'm looking forward to the day that the whole ISO install is removed and the install will be on Debian 11 as a packaged install which Andy has alluded to. I just got there sooner!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2021 21:29 #224430 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic python version
 I agree with you Rod, I have a machine at customer that I cannot upgrade because it would break because of the python debacle. 
I installed mx with qtplasmac and I have wifi issues. So now I have two machine's at two separate customers that I am stuck until this python s%&t gets fixed and there is a clear path on what to do to upgrade.

More
26 Oct 2021 22:52 #224438 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic python version

I had a perfectly working version of QTPlasmac running on Mint 19.3 until the dependency for Python 3.7 was added preventing a RIP upgrade and I could not resolve python versions on a machine that already had 2.7 and 3.6

I don't understand how you can have trouble with python versions for a rip install. I have 2.7 set as my default python version which allows me to run a 2.8 rip and my master rip runs fine on 3.7. This is on the same machine which also has a package master install. Rip installs of master will use the python3 that is installed on the machine. There is no dependency on python 3.7 in a rip install, only in the Buildbot packages.

Despite how Phil says the drivers are identical, there must be some differences in driver deployment with MXLinux, as the hardware installed perfectly on Mint and Debian 11

The reason is that you did not try MX21 which is the Debian11 equivalent, you were using MX19. I did point this out to you at the time.

More
27 Oct 2021 00:06 #224449 by rodw

I had a perfectly working version of QTPlasmac running on Mint 19.3 until the dependency for Python 3.7 was added preventing a RIP upgrade and I could not resolve python versions on a machine that already had 2.7 and 3.6
I don't understand how you can have trouble with python versions for a rip install. I have 2.7 set as my default python version which allows me to run a 2.8 rip and my master rip runs fine on 3.7. This is on the same machine which also has a package master install. Rip installs of master will use the python3 that is installed on the machine. There is no dependency on python 3.7 in a rip install, only in the Buildbot packages.

Despite how Phil says the drivers are identical, there must be some differences in driver deployment with MXLinux, as the hardware installed perfectly on Mint and Debian 11
The reason is that you did not try MX21 which is the Debian11 equivalent, you were using MX19. I did point this out to you at the time.

The dependency issue for 3.7 was certainly enforced on a git pull to update my RIP  despite Python 3.6 being on the machine and in use.

I did try a couple of versions of MX so I can't remember. The hardware has always worked regardless of the OS prior to that.

I do remember resorting to my Gmocappy config at one stage to get stuff cut in amongst all this.

I think I was just unlucky to try upgrading when I did as the transition broke  a lot of things for a while as you know and I was in the middle of it.

Anyway, hopefully, I have it sorted for good now. Thanks for your help and support along the way. I want to try rebuilding the debs and updating the config from them.

More
27 Oct 2021 00:22 #224450 by phillc54
Weird, I have never seen a python version issue on rip. Anyhows it is all slowly getting sorted.

You need to remember that master is a development branch, oddities like this are bound to happen.

Why not just stick to a rip build until the packaging python issues are done and dusted and then you could use Buildbot packages.

More
27 Oct 2021 07:30 #224479 by rodw
I'll stick with Debian 11 now I got there.
I was able to build the debs up to date as of today so hopefully that captured your latest updates.
I have not installed them yet. Can you just use gdebi to install them over the top of whats there?
Or do you have to remove them first?

Anyway cut some 12mm today @ 100 amps. Once QTP forgot to probe before trying to establish an arc (at max height). Tried again and it was happy. I am going to ignore that one cos I'm not on the latest version.

More
27 Oct 2021 07:46 #224480 by phillc54
You can open the deb with Gdebi then when it is enabled you can select reinstall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds