Any feasibility of experience with QtPlasmaC on a Chromebook

More
07 Dec 2021 15:04 #228536 by kramerda
Tring to decide best  option to get my working PlasmaC  machine ( Rpi4  w/wMesa 7196) 'upgraded' to QtPlasmaC on a low cost platform.
Does anyone have any experience / thoughts on feasibility of this approach.  They are attractive at the sub $200 
price point.  I am only literate enough to work from an 'image' not any custom builds  :>)
Thank you
Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2021 16:20 #228538 by tommylight
Pretty sure RodW uses a chromebook for LinuxCNC simulation.
As a general rule, laptops are not usable for running machines due to power saving implementations messing the timings and latency.

More
07 Dec 2021 17:58 #228557 by kramerda
Thank you Tommy - I was under the 'impression' that the Mesa ethernet card was buffered up with instructions - then latency/stepper timing was much less dependent on the computing power used. Not sure where that came from - but thats not the case?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Dec 2021 19:28 #228564 by tommylight
USB controllers use buffers, still i would never use USB anything for machine control.
Ethernet needs 1ms timings betwen read/writes, that can be lowered or raised, but does not tolerate waiting for packets for half or full second of time.

More
07 Dec 2021 19:38 #228568 by rodw
Yes, I run Linuxcnc compiled from source as a Sim on my chromebook in the normal Linux terminal.
But  its totally unsuited for driving a machine. Super high latency and no ethernet port.

If the raspberry Pi is not working out for you the lowest cost option would be a used corporate PC like the Dell 780

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds