Getting started with Plasmac...?

More
14 Apr 2022 21:31 #240260 by tachoknight
Hi all-

I have a CNC plasma table that was formerly running Mach3 and a SmoothStepper board; some poor control box placement, with some splashing of the water/coolant into the box means the table is out of commission, as in, all the electronics are completely fried.

I'm trying to switch to LinuxCNC/PlasmaC but I don't know what the first steps are; I know have to replace all the electronics but don't know what to get, and buying parts does not a working machine make, so I've been looking and if there's a tutorial or guide to setting up a plasma machine with PlasmaC, I haven't found it.

If there's some guides/tutorials that include the hardware/controller side of things, I'd love to check them out. I'd really like to get back to cutting some metal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2022 23:09 #240273 by tommylight
An older PC with a parallel port, cheap china TB6600 drives will do just fine for a start, so all in all about 100$ to 150$.
Later you can add a Mesa THCAD for torch control for 70 or 80, and maybe later a Mesa 7i92 or 7i96 or if you wana splash a Mesa 7i76E.
Although given the current chip situation, you might try to get the Mesa stuff sooner than not finding it later.
-
PlasmaC has it's own section on the front page of this forum, the QtPlasmaC is also there. Here is the PlasmaC documentation:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37234-plasmac-documentation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds