Wiggle Pierce in SheetCam / PlasmaC doesn't work

More
10 Sep 2022 10:57 - 10 Sep 2022 10:58 #251608 by turbodude
HI All, I have a Plasma machine running PlasmaC and I am trying to use SheetCam to create a wiggle pierce. It works fine within SheetCam simulation but PlasmaC doesn't use the wiggle settings. 

I have a basic 50x50mm square that I want to cut from 25mm thick steel. Feedrate is 210mm/min, 10mm arc leadin, 5mm wiggle setting, 6mm pierce height, 1.5mm cut height & 3sec pierce delay.

In SheetCam simulation it does very fast wiggle moves (much faster than the normal cut speed) at pierce height, then moves down to cut height and moves through the rest of the leadin and cuts the square as expected.

Running on the PlasmaC machine it touches off, moves to pierce height and immediately drops to cut height, does the wiggle moves at the normal cut speed rather than the fast wiggle (wiggle moves now take about 60sec rather than 3 sec), completes the arc leadin and then cuts the square as expected.

My guess is that it's because PlasmaC uses feedrate override & also controls the pierce height etc (doesn't use SheetCam feedrate & pierce height seetings) but is there is a way around it.

ps: I am using the stable release of SheetCam 7.0.19 & PlasmaCLinuxCNC 2.8.0-pre1.....
Last edit: 10 Sep 2022 10:58 by turbodude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2022 11:04 #251609 by phillc54
I doubt that wiggle moves will work in PlasmaC. Can you post the gcode that has a wiggle move in it.

More
11 Sep 2022 04:27 - 11 Sep 2022 04:29 #251668 by turbodude
No problems. Attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: 50x5025mmT...oops.ngc
File Size:3 KB
No problems. Attached.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Sep 2022 04:29 by turbodude.

More
11 Sep 2022 05:28 #251669 by phillc54
Yep, that sure isn't going to work in PlasmaC. Wiggle was never included as it is not recommended by Hypertherm (at least not by Jim Colt).

If you are using it to "save" consumables on thick plate then PlasmaC uses Pierce Only mode for that. The idea is that you use end of life consumable to do all the pierces, clean the sheet up if there is slag in places where the torch may hit, then use good consumables for the cut.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...guide.html#cut-types
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...uide.html#button-cut

If you are using it to prevent a high puddle build up, PlasmaC has puddle jump.

The following user(s) said Thank You: turbodude

More
11 Sep 2022 11:16 #251675 by turbodude
Thanks for your quick response. My reason for wanting to use wiggle is to try to pierce plate that is thicker than the max pierce spec of the machine but within its sever spec. In my case it is a Hypertherm Powermax 65 which is rated to pierce 16mm & sever 32mm. I have edge start cut 25mm with good success & very nice cuts. From what I understand wiggle should help with the pierce at deeper than standard pierce spec although it remains to be seen if it would actually get to 25mm (also my understanding could be incorrect). This video is an example with the same machine as mine doing 19mm with wiggle
 Anyway, since PlasmaC won't allow wiggle I tried "piercing only" first, cleaning the dross and then trying the cut. I am not sure what pierce delay I should be using but tried 3 seconds. This blasted a hole down to about 17mm deep & 5mm wide but when I try the cut the arc won't transfer (tried heaps of times). I assume because it has no metal within reach to melt as the hole is too deep.Maybe I should pierce for less time to leave the hole shallower so that when I do the cut there is metal there. Does anyone have any similar experience that could suggest settings?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds