Problems trying to customize safe_height.setRange(...) via qtplasmac_custom.py

More
24 Apr 2024 22:01 #299031 by shasse
Hi all-

I'm trying to enable qtplasmac to allow a safe_height smaller than 0.75 inches. I followed the basic gist of the advice at forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/51568-in...xcnc?start=10#297618 which suggests something like the following in a file named qtplasmac_custom.py in the config directory:
self.w.arc_voltage_offset.setRange(-9, 9)
with my specific line in the qtplasmac_custom.py file being:
self.w.safe_height.setRange(0.125, int(self.maxHeight))

I have customized a label in the same qtplasmac_custom.py file, so I think that shows that the qtplasmac_custom.py file is being processed via github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/56e137...smac_handler.py#L365.

However, I see that the self.set_spinbox_parameters() call happens in that same method but later:

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/56e137...smac_handler.py#L380

and it is in the the set_spinbox_parameters method where the regular setting of the safe_height setRange happens: self.w.safe_height.setRange(0.75, int(self.maxHeight))

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/56e137...mac_handler.py#L3238

I am wondering due to this call sequence if actually is possible to override the safe_height.setRange(), or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2024 00:49 #299035 by phillc54
You will need another custom python file that runs later. The file name can be anything you wish and it is named in the ini file as [DISPLAY]USER_COMMAND_FILE = 

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...#_custom_python_code

The following user(s) said Thank You: shasse

More
25 Apr 2024 01:15 #299037 by shasse
Thanks for the explanation. I'll try this and report back.

More
28 Apr 2024 03:05 #299228 by shasse
This worked half way. I added a USER_COMMAND_FILE = qtplasmac_custom_post.py with the python code to set the range:

I can start QtPlasmaC and interactively set and save a Safe Height value as low as 0.125". However, if I save any value less that 0.75", when I reload QtPlasmaC the value is reset to 2" (my maxHeight).

I think this is happening because the load_plasma_parameters method that loads the value from the prefs file into memory (github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/56e137...py#L2901C16-L2901C27) happens after set_spinbox_parameters which sets the defaults but before the USER_COMMAND_FILE (I'm not yet sure how that file gets invoked with QtPlasmaC to be honest).

This leaves me at a bit of a loss as to how to customize this. I could just write a sed script to change the python code for now, but that seems like a bit of a hack. Anyone have other thoughts as to how this might be achieved?

Thanks!

Scott

More
28 Apr 2024 09:05 #299237 by phillc54
Could you post your user command file and I will try to come up with something tomorrow afternoon. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: shasse

More
28 Apr 2024 12:35 #299246 by shasse
Thanks Phillip! I thought of something to try and hopefully I'll be at the machine later today to try this. If I re-set the safe height from the prefs after changing the range in the USER_COMMAND_FILE then I think it should work fine.

So then the user command file would be:
self.w.safe_height.setValue(self.PREFS.getpref('Safe Height', round(25.0 * self.unitsPerMm, 0), float, 'PLASMA_PARAMETERS'))

I'll let you know of that works, so no need for you to try and come up with something for now, but thank you!

Scott

More
28 Apr 2024 22:45 - 29 Apr 2024 12:42 #299279 by shasse
I was on the right track with the idea above, but it still did not fully work. Since the self.load_plasma_parameters() call also happened before the self.w.safe_height.setRange(...) call the in-memory prefs data was still respecting the built-in safe_height range that was in effect when it was initially loaded. The solution is to call self.load_plasma_parameters() again after updating the safe_height.setRange.
self.load_plasma_parameters()
self.w.safe_height.setValue(self.PREFS.getPref('Safe Height', round(25.0 * self.unitsPerMm, 0), float, 'PLASMA_PARAMETERS'))

That worked. I could change, save, and reload Safe Height values below 0.75".
But looking at this now I think I could ditch the explicit self.w.safe_height.setValue(..) call since that is already being called in the self.load_plasma_parameters(). I'll try that next time I'm at the machine, but the good news is I think there is a way to customize the Safe Height using the stock customizations methods.

Thanks for the help Phillip!

Scott
Last edit: 29 Apr 2024 12:42 by shasse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
30 Apr 2024 19:32 #299416 by shasse
I confirmed that just the following in a USER_COMMAND_FILE works:
self.load_plasma_parameters()

Thanks!

Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds