Probe Basic Lathe Status

More
06 Sep 2021 04:24 #219717 by harindugamlath
Hi, I need a little info on the status of the probe basic lathe vcp.

I'm currently running pb with my okuma mill and supper happy with it. Now I'm planning to retrofit this old okuma lathe aswell.
Some info on this thread.

forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...it-servo-help#215137

This machine is going to be a full production machine in a machine shop environment. 
So plans are like this.

Probe basic vcp with touch screen. A new and reliable pc in the cabinet. Full mesa hardware. All new Delta servos.

For this build probe basic vcp is a key component. Honestly I would not run other guis on this envrionment. So if PB lathe is not fully functional at this moment its almost a deal breaker for linuxcnc. I'm familiar with PB and modified my mill vcps according to our needs (I was able wrapmy head around and did Load meters on each axis, Modifying other buttons etc)

Another reason is this is a dual turret lathe (on the same saddle) so I was planing to modify tool views too. Which can really accurately represent the machine.

So can I trust PB lathe with this machine? Any info on the lathe vcp is really appreciated.

For the note I actually looked at a lot of commercial controllers for this one but everything within a reasonable cost had deal breaking limitations. 

Now it linuxcnc with probe basic or siemens 808d Advanced (which is a very basic controller)
I could save a lot for tooling if i can go with pb and i really like the feel of it on the mill.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2021 07:41 #219738 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic Probe Basic Lathe Status
it should run just fine, i run it on my diy lathe retrofit, but no turret on it and i don't have a lathe tool presetter to write and test probing routines on so you would need to write any tool probe routines yourself for it. everything else seems to work just fine though for me. i would recommend installing on a test pc and playing in the simulation to see if it would suit your needs! hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: harindugamlath

More
07 Sep 2021 15:00 #219857 by harindugamlath
Thanks. Anyone running PB with a turret? I think can use other macros for the turret with PB. Also if some conversational programming for lathe is is coming up that would be great.

More
08 Sep 2021 12:19 #219933 by anfänger
Replied by anfänger on topic Probe Basic Lathe Status
I am using also probe basic for my lathe, but no turret. Andypugh has some nice Makros, but they need Gladevcp I don’t know if they can be easily includes in probe basic. But it shouldn’t be to much of a problem to implement it to probe basic. At least it was my thinking, but I didn‘t give it a try yet, but it is on my todo list.

I use the atc makro on my mill, maybe this can be used for a turret.

More
09 Sep 2021 15:16 #220061 by harindugamlath
I saw your videos on YouTube. Then today found your thread. Thanks.

If you can provide a little help I'm really looking forward to do the full conversion with Linux.

Today actually went to a shop that use Siemens 808d advanced turning version. They hated it but loved the 828. 808d is almost out for me. I'm willing to take the time. Hopefully pb lathe will get a little more love as the mil version.

More
09 Sep 2021 15:37 #220065 by anfänger
I am really no expert, just stumbling along, with a lot of help from here.
Take a look st the sim for PB if you like it go for it.
A turret shouldn't be to hard to use.I even started once to make my own widget but then reused the one from pb.
the widget already fits an 8 pocket tool changer I think you only need to make your own gif an adjust the code a bit.

the macros I would reuse the images and subs (adjust them to read the widgets from qtpyvcp) from Andy and put a call subroutine button to it. at least that was my idea. I don't know if it will work.But I am quite confident.

here is the link to Andy's macros:
forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/26550-lathe-macros

Ajusting PB is no big deal, the only disadvantage is you can't simply update to a new version without making all you changes again.
But once it runs I don't see to much of a reason to update.

More
09 Sep 2021 15:51 #220068 by harindugamlath
Huge thanks. I too use pb on my mill and love it. I think i get your idea. We should be able to do that.

Yes its time to play with the sim a bit. Have 2 steppers as well maybe I'll rig up something with a mesa card.

More
10 Sep 2021 12:31 #220124 by anfänger
Maybe I give it a try this evening.

My problem is, I have no idea how to use git to share. I will upload here, maybe one of the developers will put it into the master.

Alkabal has his macros on git:
github.com/alkabal/Linuxcnc-LatheMacroV2/tree/main/lathemacros

He is already using named parameters, which will make it easier to port to probe basic. This way I need to adjust the top to of the script to read the qtpyvcp widgets and set his named parameters.

What I still need to figure out how i put the images in the back and spinboxes on top.

Looks love some evenings of searching trying and cursing

More
10 Sep 2021 14:28 #220134 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic Probe Basic Lathe Status
I considered making a turret graphic for PB Lathe, but because of the nature of how that worked i felt it may be unnecessary.. typically for lathe the tools are always 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,etc regardless of which tool is being used unlike mill where pocket 1 may contain tool 397 or whatever number.  with lathe the tool number is the turret position number.  so it would seem to not make as much sense as there will only always be 12 tools for a 12 tool turret and their tool numbers will always be 1-12.  does that make sense?

More
10 Sep 2021 14:38 #220135 by anfänger
I use the PB Mill carousel widget for my basket toolchanger.
This is fixed to but I can load different preset tools. And use Tools which are not in the toolchanger.
Maybe the same here. If you use dedicated tool holders cou can easily swap tools wich are preset. So using different tollkühneres than 1-8 might be good. As I mentioned above I would simply extend the Tool widget for 4, 6, 8, and 10 tools. It wouldn’t look turret like but for me close enough.
But I am not a lathe guy and I don’t have a turret. ;-)

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds