(UPDATE) QtPyVCP hal pins

More
09 Oct 2021 18:18 - 10 Oct 2021 02:23 #222672 by spumco
Clears things up a little, thanks.  But also begs a further question/observation.

When I was experimenting a couple days ago, I ran pncconf and selected gmoccapy as the GUI.  Added the 7i73-connected encoders as FRO/SRO/MVO in pncconf.

Once LCNC was up and running the screen sliders in gmoccapy followed the encoders.  Resets didn't do anything, of course, as I hadn't done anything in HAL to connect them except to randome signal names.  But I could twiddle the encoders and watch the screen sliders move - and the spindle responded appropriately, too.

Just trying to figure out why it worked in gmoccapy, and not in probe basic.  Is there some fundamental difference - as in QtPyVCP is a separate program that doesn't use HAL pins/signals to control and respond to LCNC?

EDIT - problem solved:
1. Encoders weren't connected to halui signals/pins in the main HAL file.
2. QtPyVCP pins are connected in custom_postgui.hal because they don't exist until after Probe Basic (or other) GUI is loaded.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2021 02:23 by spumco. Reason: Problem Solved
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2021 03:47 #224321 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic (UPDATE) QtPyVCP hal pins
Bit of an update...

Just installed probe basic for python3 along with qtpyvcp (master), and discovered the feed/spindle override reset pins are no longer available.  I edited the custom_config.yml file to show the exported hal pins per Turboss' earlier instructions, but no dice.

Older version of probe basic had FO-reset, SO-reset, and the spindle-load-indicator & timer pins.
New version both resets are missing from pins available in halshow/pins/qtpyvcp.

Was this an oversight in the switch to python3, or intentional?  'Cause having those pins available in HAL was dead useful.  And if they are brought back, can we get some more for rapid & maxvel sliders too?

Thx,
R

More
26 Oct 2021 04:50 - 26 Oct 2021 04:52 #224325 by TurBoss
Replied by TurBoss on topic (UPDATE) QtPyVCP hal pins
hello,

those are machine actions

example create an action button and in their properties at the bottom
in ActionButton / ActionName

type:

machine.rapid-override.reset

or

machine.feed-override.reset

or

spindle.override.reset

that button will reset the ActionSliders too

check al the actions here: github.com/kcjengr/qtpyvcp/tree/master/qtpyvcp/actions
Edit: www.qtpyvcp.com/actions/index.html

Thanks
Last edit: 26 Oct 2021 04:52 by TurBoss.

More
26 Oct 2021 06:55 #224338 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic (UPDATE) QtPyVCP hal pins
spumco - could you please post the yaml file you setup that "should" be exposing the pins?  Always best to check the basics before going down any rabbit holes.  :-)

Cheers - james.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TurBoss, spumco

More
26 Oct 2021 11:44 #224376 by spumco
First file was created during installation of the python2 probe basic, and edited according to Turboss instructions on exposing hal pins.

Second file was created during last night's shift to the python3 version.  THat installation started with a fresh install of MX21, so there aren't any lingering/legacy files to clutter things up.

Before greasing the PC, I backed up my py2 probe basic config folder.  After the new installation was done, I copied the hal pin statement from the old custom_config.yml file to the new one in the py3 config folder.

After loading the config I noticed that the qtpyvcp pins were exposed in hal show (like last time), but the FO/SO reset pins didn't exist.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: TurBoss

More
26 Oct 2021 11:55 #224382 by TurBoss
Replied by TurBoss on topic (UPDATE) QtPyVCP hal pins
just found the issue

in the seccond yaml the python3

you are missing the whole data_plugins section:
data_plugins:
    kwargs:
      cycle_time: 15

tooltable:
    provider: qtpyvcp.plugins.tool_table:ToolTable
    kwargs:
        columns: TXYZDR

persistent_data_manager:
    provider: qtpyvcp.plugins.persistent_data_manager:PersistentDataManager
    kwargs:
      # serialization method to use: json or pickle
      serialization_method: pickle
      # persistence_file: .vcp_data.json

hal:
    provider: qtpyvcp.plugins.exported_hal:ExportedHal

More
26 Oct 2021 13:18 #224394 by spumco
Good catch.

I didn't change the py3 custom_config.yml file at all other than pasting the hal:provider text.  Is it possible there's an issue with the newer version of probe basic?

It's always possible I accidentally deleted something, but all I did was:
  1. Copy the py3 probe basic config folder
  2. Paste the copied folder in to /configs and rename it
  3. Open the old py2 yml file from my backup
  4. Open the new py3 yml file and do a CTL-C, CTL-V of the hal pin lines.
I'm not in front of my LCNC machine right now so I can't check the different versions.  Can someone take a look at the py3 probe basic sim installation and see if the data_plugins section is missing from the yml file?

More
26 Oct 2021 22:36 #224435 by spumco
I just checked and I was right about the yml file.

The data_plugins section is missing from the new py3 installation custom_config.yml.  All of the config folders created during the py3 install are missing the data_plugin section:
  • probe_basic\configs\probe_basic
  • probe_basic\configs\probe_basic_lathe
  • linuxcnc\configs\probe_basic
  • linuxcnc\configs\probe_basic_lathe

The only yml file with the data_plugins text is from my old py2 version of probe basic I'd saved.

So I copied the data_plugins section to the working custom_config.yml file... and still no override reset pins are available in halshow.

All I have showing are the spindle load and timer pins.

More
27 Oct 2021 02:32 - 27 Oct 2021 02:36 #224459 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic (UPDATE) QtPyVCP hal pins
spumco - I have been doing some checking and the yaml file in the probe basic install is added to via custom_config.yml file in the linuxcnc/config/xxx folder.
On that basis you should only need to add the following into a custom_config.yml file to include the exportedhal plugin.  This has been tested today on my UI under qtpyvcp master branch.

data_plugins:
    exportedhal:
        provider: qtpyvcp.plugins.exported_hal:ExportedHal

This addative behaviour also expalins why the data_plugins section is not included in the custom_config.yml files in PB as it's default set of plugins is defined at the UI level not at the users linuxcnc level.

Cheers - James.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2021 02:36 by Joco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco, Unlogic

More
27 Oct 2021 03:31 #224463 by spumco
James - Bingo!

You and the other LCNC/QtPyVCP/Probe Basic folks need to set up a donation button.

"If your problem got solved to your satisfaction, push this button to donate a dollar to the devs"

I know, I know - everything gets corrupted and that sort of thing goes against the grain of open-source.  But it'd be nice to actually send you all a beer or cup of coffee from time to time.

-Ralph
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Joco

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds