Probe Basic - keyboard jogging

More
16 Jan 2023 16:37 #262142 by spumco
While the printer is cooking up some ATC parts I figured I'd have a go at disabling all keyboard-controlled motion.

My preference is that a keyboard should just be for data entry - no jogging, no estop, no controls.

What file (and how) are keyboard shortcuts enabled or controlled in PB? I'd like to turn everything off, or at least turn everything off that can affect machine motion & state.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2023 19:50 #262156 by Lcvette
thats a linuxcnc setting ***i believe*** I know in order for probe basic to relinquish keyboard control and allow keyboard motion commands, all focus must be cancelled so you have to click somewhere on the screen that is not focus driven. and then keyboard motion will work. over the last 5 years of use, I have not ever found that i could keyboard jog without purposefully finding somewhere to click on the screen to cancel focus and while using the machine, so i have never found the need to change the existing settings. PB uses keyboard input for data entry and mdi, so im also not sure if turning off keyboard function would have an odd effect there or not?
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
16 Jan 2023 20:12 #262157 by spumco
I just found something that may show some promise...

In the QtVCP libraries section of the LCNC docs, there's a section on 'keylookup' called in the handler file.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/qtvcp-l..._code_keylookup_code

I couldnt find something like this in QtPyVCP docs, but I'm going to poke around a bit.

More
16 Jan 2023 20:30 #262159 by spumco
Lcvette - Ugh.  I think you're right - I think this goes beyond Probe Basic and QtPyVCP.

Digging through github there's a bunch of stuff I don't understand deep in the LCNC code (under /src/motion) regarding keyboard jogging.

Prolly need to ask again in the General or Advanced sub-forums.

More
16 Jan 2023 20:59 #262165 by Lcvette
honestly, like i said you have to go out of your way to be able to use the keyboard jogging, you can spend time figuring it out, but i know once you actually start using the machine you will quickly realize it was wasted time. I would put that at the end of your things to do list and focus your time toward more critical needs to finish your project. but that is just my opinion of course. my experience is solid that it isn't a concern whatsoever.

More
20 Feb 2023 23:54 #264919 by Lcvette
well i spoke too soon, i just about had a crash, for some reason in the 2.9 branch, keyboard jogging is turned on with no safegaurd, i almost crashed the probe trying to enter data for a probing routine on the number pad.. need to find a way to turn it off for sure!

More
21 Feb 2023 15:52 #264962 by spumco
Yikes.

Nothing like some expensive adrenaline to get your attention, is there?

If you start working on an on-screen on/off setting (i.e. a "disable keyboard jog" radio button) please report back as I've got some PB screen edits I need to start on and I'd rather wait and git-pull whatever you come up with before I fiddle with the GUI again.

I don't really know how to merge changes yet so I'm kinda stuck - if I want a new feature I have to overwrite my local and re-edit the latest.

Thx,
R

More
22 Feb 2023 13:43 #265029 by Lcvette
yeah i figured my situation out, was the numlock button, but still that was not the same behavior i was accustomed to in the py2 version...

you should join us on gitkraken that way we could check out your edited branch additions and if appropriate merge into master.

More
22 Feb 2023 17:33 #265043 by spumco
I installed the gitkracken trial a month or two ago, and got annoyed when they wanted me to pay and kept spamming my email (despite me selecting the 'no marketing emails' thing)

Had to black-hole emails from them and lost interest.

I'd love to share the stuff I'm doing, but I'm not interested in paying for yet another subscription.

Or did I do something wrong and gitkracken is actually a wonderful, free, non-invasive platform?

More
22 Feb 2023 21:52 #265071 by TurBoss
hello,

A super nice free git client is Gittyup github.com/Murmele/Gittyup
not so comfortable like gitkraken but does the job :-)

PD: I'm using Gittyup

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds