How to modify Probe Basic UI

More
10 Mar 2023 05:47 #266264 by nwallace
So after messing around on the probe basic sim, I would like to start learning how to make small ui changes and learn how the ui works in general. I am pretty sure I need to use QT Designer to do this but I am not sure how to start. I think I need to edit a .ui file but I don't know where the probe basic one is. Also, I want to make a copy that I can mess with and not worry about breaking things. How do you tell a probe basic config to use a different ui file? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2023 05:54 #266267 by rodw
The following user(s) said Thank You: nwallace

More
10 Mar 2023 15:26 #266291 by Lcvette

So after messing around on the probe basic sim, I would like to start learning how to make small ui changes and learn how the ui works in general. I am pretty sure I need to use QT Designer to do this but I am not sure how to start. I think I need to edit a .ui file but I don't know where the probe basic one is. Also, I want to make a copy that I can mess with and not worry about breaking things. How do you tell a probe basic config to use a different ui file? Can someone point me in the right direction?

The best way to go about this is as rodw stated, create a dev pc and install the development version of qtpyvcp and probe basic.

then you can install gitkraken and open the repos for qtpyvcp and probe basic from the installation folder.  then you can create a branch.  from that point forward your changes will be made in the new branch seperate from the core probe basic branch.  as you make changes, you can stage the changes and then commit them when you are happy.  if at any point you want to revert to a previous commit you can do so.  this is nice for those times when things go horribly wrong and you break something and aren't sure how to fix.  making small commits is best n my experience as it gives you reset points that don't require major amounts of rework in those circumstances.

and finally, joining the qtpyvcp chat is a great place to become a collaborator, share your thoughts and ideas, and work in a positive can do attitude environment with some very awesome people.  :)

the chat room link is here:

matrix.to/#/#qtpyvcp:matrix.org

I use element io which is great for file/image and managing your chats.  there is also a bridge to the linuxcnc irc chat there and it offer much better functionality than the base irc interface.  element io can be installed from here:

element.io/download

Chris

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, nwallace

More
15 Mar 2023 17:40 #266769 by Retrofit
Hello Chris

I dowloaded the machine install , it s ok , very nice , the status file is super , i also instaled the development install , to make some small changes , like :
# in the status ,i want to  modify the pin numbers from IN00 to in IN31 , to be the same like input pins from 7i77 card, for not confusing (for me)
# atc FWD button(m12) from the manual atc control left side  is not the same like ATC FWD button(m11) from right side of the screen , automatic ATC,and change them with m11 for both.
# remove B+ and B- from the jog side and move the "machine.jog.linear-speed-percentage" slider  in that space  , and add in eliberated space  a halbarindicator from QtpyVCP-Hal for external jog adjusting. In this case , when external jog adjustment is applied , the jog slider will be react for the  float value changes , like feed, speed , override etc ,and the change will be dispayed on screeen.
net jog-speed hm2_7i84.0.2.analogin2 (in my case )
net jos-speed mult2.0.in0
setp mult2.0.in1 6.4
net jog-speed-out mult2.0.out
net jog-speed-out qtpyvcp.halbarindicator.in-f
In last  version , I was able to do this , but with the new development install , i need some steps , help steps ,pls, for beginers(like me) if is possible...
If i make the changes , when i want to save the changes , a pop up say that I don t have the permission to make changes on file. , and for sure I don t do something good.
thanx for help
Denis

More
15 Mar 2023 18:35 #266777 by Lcvette
you will need to install the dev version on a clean install otherwise you will have two competing installations which can create some issues.

having a dev pc dedicated to this type work is smart as it will stop you from doing any confusing things.however you can uninstall all of the user deb installations using the read me doc from the google drive, then you could run a deb 12 dev installation from the script installer in the sticky section. then build the deb file, then uninstall the dev version and install the deb you created, but this can be quite cumbersome especially if you need to make additional changes, believe me i tried it for a day then just etup a dev pc..lol

when you are done with dev work you can then build a .deb package and install it the same as the one you downloaded from the google drive. this will give you a system installation for your machine. as for the jog slider stuff, I think @spumco is the best to ask as he exhaustively worked on that concept and believe he found some method to make something work, but i have not had time to play with it yet.

as for editing the ui, once you have the dedicated dev installation it will be opening and saving from a run in place file and should no longer give you the save error as you are not trying to modify a system file without permissions.

hope this helps!

Chris

More
15 Mar 2023 20:19 #266783 by Retrofit
thanx a lot Chris

I already instaled a dev instalation on separate pc , before i read your answer ( it was a ideea because i try a lot of things), but just for trying , yes it can be saved the changes , but for the moment , the desktop launch icon for probe basic mill and lathe , don t work , even from the linuxcnc dropbar don t apperar the line from where it can be loaded the program.
Only the designer launcher can be oppened.
I installed for three times , and is the same.
two days before , i was able to do this.
(the jog hallbarindicator it works fine) this is one reason for make the changes
thanx again Chris ,
Denis

More
15 Mar 2023 20:51 #266788 by Lcvette
in dev install only the script created desktop launchers will work as they create a virtual environment where everything runs.

what error do you get when using the desktop probe basic interface launcher?

can you right click on the launcher, then edit launcher, expand to see the contents and post screen shot

Thanks!

Chris

More
16 Mar 2023 19:18 #266854 by Retrofit
  Hello
i reinstaled all , debian , linuxcnc , probe basic development install , the issue is the same , when I doubleclick the mill or lathe icon , do nothing.
The qtpyvcp icons fromdesktop can be launched.
I atach a sreenshot with the expanded launcher edit.
Thanx for help
Denis
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2023 20:29 #267028 by Lcvette
there were some path errors that got missed during our toml poetry package build conversion, they have been corrected, please delete you existing dev directory and try reinstalling, the changes should now allow for a fully functioning dev installation with the launchers working as expected!

Thanks,

Chris

More
19 Mar 2023 00:06 #267037 by Retrofit
hello
I do the things that you tell , now is work fine.
i have 2 pc , one with dev install , and another with machine install.
Thanx a lot for helping.
denis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds