-has good support
-active development
-quite easy to set up for normal machines
-can be set up for complicated machines
-etc
QtDragon is
-all of the above
:)
Personally i like both, use none yet, and do not make me choose.
Both have the same issues, use QT and Python, so almost all issues are from using these, never from lack of effort or support from members here, so thank you all involved.
The only difference i can think of right now is QtPyVCP has a nice rotating picture of tool changer, but been long since i tested any of those, so might have changed.
Also, GmoccaPy is used a lot, again same goes for it.
I use mostly Axis, have to deal with a lot of users, so being simple looking helps a lot.
A shout out to PhillC and SnowGoer and others for QtPlasmaC, a lot of work went into it.
Maybe off topic, but there are several other GUI used by mostly Chinese companies that hide the fact they are using LinuxCNC underneath, while Tormach makes it public.
Again, thank you all for a magnificent project/projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2023 13:36 #277109 by Lcvette
@rodw You have a rather unique situation. 95% of users will find probe basic very easy to install via the apt instructions, and updating becomes automatic with sudo apt update. Development is tricky due to venv requirement, but for those who want to customize there is a path to follow to get there.

@tommylight qtpyvcp uses vtk, which is super powerful and expandable, I envision some really cool things to come from it in the future including built in camming interactivity with graphical representation. Qtpyvcp is very flexible and not constrained to a single developers rule of law which makes its free flow of ideas and creation more accessibleand open. It's actually one of the primary reasons it was developed.

Probe basic makes almost all functionality available to end users in the form of subroutines making extensive python coding knowledge unneeded to adapt and make changes to suit users requirements. All of these are accessible in the config folder and do not require a development environment for most users.

The rs274ngc language is very easy to learn and adapt and has a wonderful single file user manual. Here:

ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=823374

Admittedly the user documentation for probe basic is lacking and that is squarely my fault but time constraints take their toll on all of us. I will get to it at some point or perhaps a generous user may take up the mantle to write it. My hope was to make it more of an interactive manual but that requires some code work I Hagerman been able to get sorted. Maybe soon hopefully.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, besriworld

More
13 Aug 2023 18:57 #277856 by msrdiesel

ok ive been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.  I am running linuxcnc 2.9 with probe basic.  I can probe z with no problems but whenever I probe an edge on X or Y i get the error - start point too close to probe point.  im not really sure where to go from here.  I have started the probing farther from the edges, closer to the edges, higher, farther from home point.  I can't seem to find this error hardly anywhere online.

I think I MIGHT know what you are referring to in the probing routine, try to use the CALIBRATION tab that applies to what you are trying to probe. If Z Maximum is much greater than the distance to the workpiece it will error out. Because it does not subtract the initial Z start height from the current Z position. But if you run the CALIBRATION tab and select  the square boss for an outside rectangle it will probe it correctly, just use the hint to put in the approximate part dimensions, and set your STEP OFF WIDTH accordingly. 

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds