error when probing on the XY - start point too close to probe point

More
30 Jul 2023 00:08 - 30 Jul 2023 00:09 #276542 by jyoung383
ok ive been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.  I am running linuxcnc 2.9 with probe basic.  I can probe z with no problems but whenever I probe an edge on X or Y i get the error - start point too close to probe point.  im not really sure where to go from here.  I have started the probing farther from the edges, closer to the edges, higher, farther from home point.  I can't seem to find this error hardly anywhere online.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2023 00:09 by jyoung383.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2023 21:28 #276582 by cmorley
You would need to give more information. maybe a screen shot of the probe page.

More
31 Jul 2023 04:31 #276600 by rodw
I think the mods should move this to the QTPYVCP section as it refers to probe basic. It might attract the right helpers there.

More
31 Jul 2023 11:16 #276616 by tommylight
We really need to find a name for the GUI, it is impossible to know what is reffered to from that name.
-
Moving this to QtPyVCP, if it turns out to be the other thing we will move it back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
31 Jul 2023 13:11 #276624 by rodw

We really need to find a name for the GUI, it is impossible to know what is reffered to from that name.
-
Moving this to QtPyVCP, if it turns out to be the other thing we will move it back.

Probe Basic is the correct name for a a QTPYVCP gui for a milling machine that includes probing.
ref: www.qtpyvcp.com/showcase/mill_vcps.html

This is not to be confused with the basic probe feature of qtdragon which I think was inspired by probe basic,

More
31 Jul 2023 14:27 #276635 by jyoung383
Ya I wish it had a different name, it gets confusing searching for it and pulling up all kinds of stuff. So I gave up, and just started with a new axis setup and converted it to probe basic gui and that error went away. So all good and off to the next adventure!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 Jul 2023 14:57 #276639 by tommylight

Probe Basic is the correct name for a a QTPYVCP gui for a milling machine that includes probing.

It is not the correct name, even the developers agree it is not, so why are you insisting it is???
Have a look back, we already discussed this a year back.
It is a GUI with the added probing, not the other way around. Most people use it with no probing at all.

This is not to be confused with the basic probe feature of qtdragon which I think was inspired by probe basic,

See the above post, everybody gets confused, it is confusing.

More
31 Jul 2023 20:21 #276661 by rodw
Tommy, we are on the same page. What is different between:
Rod: gui for a milling machine that includes probing.
Tommy: It is a GUI with the added probing
Let's not get started about QTVCP included in Linuxcnc  and QTPYVCP!

I agree the choice of names for Probe Basic is terribly confusing but you need to take it up with Chris P (lcvette on tihis forum) who developed it.

So in summary there are three ways to incorporate probing into Linuxcnc.
1. The original (I think) is  probe screen (by its name in its git repository) which has an active thread going back to 2015  forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...k-with-probe?start=0 Its also sometimes called vers.by probe who I think wrote it to sell their probes. I think it installs as a side panel to axis and possibly other guis. Not part of Linuxcnc, development languished with Python 3.

2. QTPYVCP's Probe Basic GUI - not part of Linuxcnc and has added complexity to install due to recent changes to Python. It was written by Lcvette as he makes CNC conversion kits for small mills sold in the USA.

3. QT-dragon Included in Version 2.9 of Linuxcnc. There are two versions. One for 1080p screens and another for smaller screen resolutions. linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/gui/qtdragon.html This includes two probing methods you can choose from in the ini file. basic probe, an adaptation of Probe Basic's probing and versa probe, an adaptation of vers.by's probe_screen. 

Life would be so much easier if people adopted the official QT-dragon for their probing needs that is part of linuxcnc, It has amazing documentation for the GUI and also for the QTVCP framework unlike the others.

I tried to use Probe Basic but could not install it on my hardware after I modified a QTPYVCP GUI for my needs.
I looked at qt-dragon and was pretty gobsmacked as it has everything anyone needs

Cheap Chinese built probes are now available with acceptable accuracy for most applications so there is increasing demand for probing so its only going to get worse.

If you want to probe, please upgrade to 2.9 by following the getting Linuxcnc documentation and support the qt-dragon GUI that gives you the choice of both probing worlds. If you find a bug, report it herin the QTVCP section here and it will be fixed.

More
06 Aug 2023 04:57 #277084 by Lcvette
The more the merrier I say, only a small few would like to see qtpyvcp go away... continuing to plug qtvcp in every single post you reply in regarding probe basic is beginning to sound like a broken record.  Live and let live.. creative diversity is the foundation of open source.  

More
06 Aug 2023 07:48 #277096 by rodw

The more the merrier I say, only a small few would like to see qtpyvcp go away... continuing to plug qtvcp in every single post you reply in regarding probe basic is beginning to sound like a broken record.  Live and let live.. creative diversity is the foundation of open source.  

Absolutely agree and sometimes an open source  project forms the foundation of other projects. QTPYVCP and probe basic was my first choice but I just could not get it going on my hardware with help from you and others.. Upgrading a complex EtherCAT config from Bullseye to Bookworm was not something I wanted to do. Qtdragon worked and was well documented and easy to modify to suit my requirements.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds