Probe Basic is splitting into Stable and Develop apt branch

More
04 Jun 2024 16:56 #302327 by Lcvette
Hello Probe Basic users,

We will be rolling out some big changes in Probe Basic in the next few days, here is what you need to know!

1- Probe Basic repository will be changing to "stable" and "develop"  versions.  Currently users who installed via the apt install method are pulling from the devlop branch.  You will notice after your next apt update that the opening screen is changed to the status page where you will find a message stating: Important read with action required.  

To remain on the stable branch you will need to follow these instructions. There are now also instructions at the link below with images for easier following:

kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/stable_develop_branch_change.html  

The develop branch will be getting a heavily changed update which will require significant config file changes.  All of the subroutines will need to be used from the supplied sim subroutine folder along with the var file which now contains many added parameters that will store the probing, tool setting, coolant cannon user parameters.  This was done to be able to call and access user entered parameters during remap sub calls.  The previous method used will NO LONGER BE VALID so if you have modified subroutines you will need to adapt them to the new subroutines format.

The YAML file will also need to be copied over to your configs folder and the new user settings added to the yaml can be set per your ui instance and desired settings to determine how things are displayed.  

The current develop repository will be receiving the updated probe basic changes on Tuesday June 4th at 1pm EST.  Users not ready to test the development branch are urged to update their apt repository source list to continue using probe basic without interuption.  This will take no longer than a minute or two and has been well documented in the link above.

We are excited for this new two branch system which will allow users to switch between versions for testing and to have a look around the new developments and to allow us who are making the changes the ability to easily test on our machines.

Please post here if you have issues or questions regarding these new changes!

Thanks and Best Regards,

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: pommen, spumco, zmrdko, Unlogic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2024 17:19 #302329 by Lcvette
merging will take longer than anticipated for this so stay tuned for an update when merge has been completed for the latest development version!

Thanks for your patience!

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, harindugamlath

More
04 Jun 2024 20:14 #302339 by Lcvette
Development and stable versions are now up and live! please provide your feedback and questions here!

Thanks,

Chris

More
04 Jun 2024 23:55 #302348 by tommylight
Made this a sticky so it remains at the top for now, let me know if that is OK.
Thank you and your team for all the hard work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
05 Jun 2024 12:15 #302376 by Unlogic
I think this is a good initiative that will simplify the development process of Probe Basic in the long run.

Keep up the good work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
05 Jun 2024 12:46 #302380 by Lcvette
yup, no problem,Thanks Tommy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 Jun 2024 12:54 #302381 by Lcvette
yeah i agree completely, having a fall back version if an issue pops up on a production machine or changes not ready to be dealt with will be nice. i completely understand, i bide my time on my own machines often for upgrades.  and the upgrade does some awesome things!  :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: harindugamlath

More
15 Jun 2024 20:05 #303074 by Lcvette
Hey all, Apologies for any frustrations, we had a bug sneak by that some of you may have experienced, an error traceback popping up.. that was from a update we thought we had resolved but it needs some more work. we have reverted a few things to get everything back to normal running, the develop and stable branches are both back up and running and the instructions to swap between both have been updated as of a few minutes ago, we discovred it requires a couple more lines to uninstall and then reinstall after changing the source list for the desired repository, but the instructions are up, simple and very clear on how to bounce between versions!

Thank you for your patience and underdstanding!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, pommen, B.Reilly01, besriworld, spumco

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds