Installing older version of ProbeBasic on buster and linuxcnc 2.8

More
07 Oct 2024 21:08 #311526 by FedX
Hi all,

i want to setup a virtual machine to test some functions.. My real machine is running with linuxcnc 2.8 and debian 10. 

How do i install older releases of QtPyVCP, probeBasic and PyQt5Designer ? It seems all the newer versions are not running anymore because of python3 and all the docs i find is only for the newest versions.. I mean i can download older repositories but for QtPyVCP there is no installer where do i need to unpack it? 

I don't want to change my machine to a newer OS yet.. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2024 21:19 #311529 by Lcvette
Unfortunately it isnt available any longer because of python 2 be deprecated and supporting dependencies were no longer available. You only option is to update of you want to run probe basic.

More
07 Oct 2024 21:38 #311532 by FedX
How can that be? I don't need the neweset version of probeBasic i just want to use my own screen which i created with linuxCNC 2.8 and Buster.. I mean all the old versions must be available somwhere..

I know it's deprecated, but it would take ages to update all my customized GUIs and configurations and i don't want to change my machine and hardware..

More
08 Oct 2024 01:04 - 08 Oct 2024 01:06 #311536 by Lcvette
Ah, sorry assumed it was a PB install based on the topic header, you could git pull an older branch of qtpyvcp and compile from source maybe. 
Last edit: 08 Oct 2024 01:06 by Lcvette.

More
08 Oct 2024 09:03 - 08 Oct 2024 10:29 #311549 by FedX
well kind of. I used probe basic as a basis for my own screen and changed the GUI to my needs. I saved all config and UI files.

But i struggle to install a compatible version of qtdesigner and QtPyVCP.. 
i installed python 2.7 and the basics:sudo apt update sudo apt install build-essential python2.7 python-setuptools git python-pip

now the qustion is which version of QtDesigner and QtPyVCP is compatible with buster and linuxCNC 2.8 and how to install it ? 

found this script: raw.githubusercontent.com/LinuxCNC/linux...igner/install_script 
at least Qt5 designer works now.. But still struggling to get my UI
in ini i use DISPLAY = probe_basic and i copied my probe_basic folder with my configurations to usr/share/linuxcnc/probe_basic/ but it doesn't find the UI..  
I also found a folder qtpyvcp in my backup directory. Am i missing something? I set it up some years ago and dont remember how.. 
Last edit: 08 Oct 2024 10:29 by FedX.

More
08 Oct 2024 12:00 #311564 by Lcvette
same here, been too long and too many other versions since to remember what would be needed. i would really not waste time with that though, ther newer version is much better. we give you two tabs to customize where the customized ui file lives in your config folder and is loaded at startup, so your changes and edits on those tabs will remain unchanged through updates etc. i would imagine you could remodel your build using that method and would be much happier, you will have the latest version foing forward, it is now installable via apt and you would likely spend less time doing that than solving how to install an old deprecated version with unsupported/unavailable dependencies.

More
08 Oct 2024 12:05 #311565 by Lcvette
the usertabs give you the entire upper canvas pretty much to do anything you want and you can nest other tabs in them if you want more realestate for customization.  just a thought!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Unlogic

More
08 Oct 2024 13:51 - 08 Oct 2024 14:20 #311571 by FedX
As i said it is no option because of the change to debian 12.. I would need to update my hardware and everything. Thats the reason why i hate this online stuff.. 

i tried to install QtPyVCP v0.3.10 because this is what my machine runs on. But it seems the dependencies are not defined as the versions which were used back than.. Alternativley the latest version which runs with python2.7 and LinuxCNC2.8 
Last edit: 08 Oct 2024 14:20 by FedX.

More
08 Oct 2024 17:17 #311591 by Lcvette
Om not sure what hardware you are referring too requiring updating? Vtk requirements have been in place since probe basics beginning. Aside from that i dont think there is any hardware upgrade required, at least not from memory. You can check your current version to make sure they match the requirement and if so, upgrade away.

Probe Basic requires graphics hardware that supports OpenGL 3.2 and OpenGL Shading Language (GLSL) 1.50 or later

More
09 Oct 2024 11:46 - 09 Oct 2024 12:03 #311639 by FedX
I'm trying to switch to the newer version but with my own screen i built back than.. 

I installed the dev version of ProbeBasic and exchanged the probe_basic.ui with my own. If i use the launcher probe_basic_mill_designer.sh it opens my screen and luckily it looks quite promising so far. Its only missng two attributes "referenceType" and "axis". 

But if i want to test the sceen and open the desktop starter probe basic mill it shows the standard UI. Regarding to the documentation this should run LinuxCNC with the UI changes i made shouldn't it? Where is the GUI of probe basic located? 

And is paramsaver not available anymore with linuxCNC 2.9? It seems that it cannot load it.
Ok just found out that the shortcut for probe basic mill just uses the ui which is in python3/dist-packages/probe_basic
i thought the dev edition runs a virtual enviroment ? 
Last edit: 09 Oct 2024 12:03 by FedX.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds