qtVCP not working for RPI 2.8 image

More
26 Oct 2020 23:16 #187353 by persei8
It does appear that VTK is installed, but is PyQt5 installed?
In a terminal, start a python interactive session:
$ python
>>> import PyQt5
If no error, then PyQt5 is installed.
>>> import qt
If no error, then vtk.qt is installed.
I believe that debian distros come with both python2.7 and python3 already installed. The libraries for PyQt5 are in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages and the vtk libraries are in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2020 14:10 #187418 by mgmatteo
I run the commands and vtk.qt is installed..
So I wanted to restart from a fresh image, something changed but still not working.
This are ALL, and the only steps I did:

- flashed the linuxcnc-2.8.0-pi4 image
- did NOT performed any "update" nor "upgrade"
- did NOT install python-vtk6 as per my previous image
- open linuxcnc and load a sim (so I created the config folder)
- copied your files in "configs" (in a subfolder called "qtdragon")
- installed your package
sudo dpkg -i vtk_7.1.1-qt5py2-1_armhf.deb
- added
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vtk:$PYTHONPATH
and
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vtk:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to .bashrc as suggested by Scott

I then performed all your check with succes:
pi@linuxcnc:~ $ sudo dpkg --list | grep vtk
ii  libvtk6.3                            6.3.0+dfsg2-2+b6                    armhf        VTK libraries
ii  vtk                                  7.1.1-qt5py2-1                      armhf        vtk
and
$ python
>>> import PyQt5 
>>> import qt
with no error

at this point I ran linuxcnc and choose "qtdragon_xyz"
It crashed but I didn't find the reason. I attach the log1.
Run a second time and It crashed again (but shorter output) attached in log2. (I think the first one also created some default files/configs)
If I remove the two lines added in .bashrc I have an error regarding vtk not found.

Hope this make sense to you...
Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2020 15:05 #187429 by cakeslob
[QTvcp.QTVCP.LIB.SYS_NOTIFY][WARNING] Descktop Notify not availale:: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files (sys_notify.py:67)\

install notification daemon, i just tried to run it without notify running and i get the same errors
and perhaps try to get qtvcp working before the vtk stuff

More
27 Oct 2020 15:44 #187435 by persei8

Unable to open /usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon/resources.py for writing\

Make sure you have a .qrc file in your config directory. There's one on the qtdragon github. User pi cannot write to /usr without root privilege. You should not change the permissions - the resources.py file should be written to the config directory.

[QtDesigner.QTVCP.QT_TSTAT][DEBUG] Toolfile does not exist' tool.tbl (qt_tstat.py:113)\

There's no tool table. You can copy one from one of the other example configs.

There's fewer errors in the second log because it wrote missing parameters to the pref file on the first run. Not to say these are the root causes, but fixing these will get you a step closer.

More
27 Oct 2020 22:13 #187480 by mgmatteo
@cakeslob I searched the web but I didn't find how to install desktop-notify..
Have a suggestion?

@persei8 I did what you suggested.
- Copied tool.tbl and the qtdragon.qrc found in QtDragon-master
- Modified qtdragon.qrc
<qresource prefix="/home/jim/linuxcnc/configs/qtdragon/">
(pi instead of ijm)
- also created /home/pi/linuxcnc/configs/qtdragon/images and copied the images in it

now if i run it I have a different result (I also see for a second the UI in the xyz example, not the other ones) but still crashes.
I attach the log

More
28 Oct 2020 00:51 #187487 by cmorley
log didn't attach

More
28 Oct 2020 04:54 #187504 by cakeslob
sudo apt-get install notification-daemon

probably have to configure it or something, I have to run mine every time before qtvcp, heres my errors with and without notify, a lot can get through but not notify, even if its turned off in prefs . also, here is my no graphics version of qtdragon i use for testing
Attachments:

More
28 Oct 2020 05:01 #187506 by cmorley
I'll look into why notify is required - it shouldn't be.

Chris

More
28 Oct 2020 14:28 - 28 Oct 2020 16:31 #187577 by mgmatteo
Sorry, I forgot the file..
Meanwhile I had some success!

Turnkey was to have the notification-daemon running in the background! thank you @cakeslob
In my opinion this should be a Critical output not a Warning as it mislead to think it's something.. well not critical ;-)

So I was able to start qtdragon_xyz even if there are still some warnings in the background.
It would be nice to sort them out just to have a base configuration clean.

I then tried qtdragon_xyzy (that's my machine) and it breaks. Attached the log.
It said something about a missing file (qtdragon_xyz ) so I decided to do this:
- downloaded QtDragon-master, Probe-main and unzipped in /configs/qtdragon
- downloaded vtk-master and unzipped in the same folder (overwriting some of the previous files).
Now if I launch the example configuration qtdragon_xyzy it brakes in a different position
AttributeError: 'VersaProbe' object has no attribute 'input_xy_clearance'
I have to figure it out where this values go, but I think it would be nice to have the vtk master setup in a way that it works with all the examples so that we have a starting point to explore the penalization of those configs.
Sorry for my English... I hope that what I just wrote doesn't need to be debugged :-D
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 16:31 by mgmatteo.

More
28 Oct 2020 17:00 #187590 by persei8

[QTvcp.QTVCP.QT_MAKEPINS][WARNING] Preference instance error: Cannot find directory: /home/pi/linuxcnc/configs/qtdragon for preference file. (qt_makepins.py:55)

This one is because your config dir is called qtderagon, not qtdragon

[QTvcp.QTDRAGON_HANDLER][INFO] No valid probe widget specified (qtdragon_handler.py:270)

This one is likely because the xyzy.ini doesn't have a [PROBE] section. Copy it over from the xyz one. Valid entries are USE_PROBE = versaprobe or USE_PROBE = basicprobe. If you don't want the probe routines, leave it out.

It looks like it's going to work. Chris just pushed some updates to master so some adjustments will need to be made if you update and upgrade. In the meantime, I will try to fine tune everything. Keep in mind, qtdragon with vtk on an rpi4 is NOT a finished product. It needs a proper graphics display widget. If you know OpenGL ES, this could be a project for you.
Jim

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds