Up-to-dateness

More
26 Dec 2022 22:34 #260355 by Roguish
Up-to-dateness was created by Roguish
Hello all,
just out of curiosity, how up to date is Qtvcp and Qtdragon?
linuxcnc 2.8  vs   2.9    vs   2.10   ?????
debian 10 (buster)   vs   11 (bullseye)    vs   12 (bookworm)

and does the rt kernel version affect it in any way?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2022 23:05 #260357 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Up-to-dateness

just out of curiosity, how up to date is Qtvcp and Qtdragon?
linuxcnc 2.8  vs   2.9    vs   2.10   ?????

2.8 probably has older stuff than the 2.9 and 2.10. Since a while back there might also be minor differences between 2.9 and 2.10 as 2.9 is getting stabilized for release.
That is all a guess from the stuff i read here, not from use, as i know Cmorley and some other members are fixing a lot of stuff lately and also adding more options for some of the GUI's.

debian 10 (buster)   vs   11 (bullseye)    vs   12 (bookworm)

GmoccaPY has some issues with Wayland on Debian 11 and 12 that can be easily fixed by using the XFCE desktop environment, i do not recall anything else having issues.

and does the rt kernel version affect it in any way?

It does not, at least not that i am aware of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roguish

More
27 Dec 2022 01:16 #260368 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Up-to-dateness
What do you mean by up-to-date?

More
27 Dec 2022 15:41 #260400 by Roguish
Replied by Roguish on topic Up-to-dateness
Chris, thank you for checking in.
'Up-to-date' means Qtvcp works, stock, out of the box.
Make up a simple 3x3 matrix of the combinations of Debian versions and Linuxcnc versions, and check off the ones that work completely, without any problems or errors or warnings, of any kind.   At least for all the gui examples provided in the linuxcnc installations.
Pretty simple question.
Debian current release is 11 Bullseye.      www.debian.org/download
Andy P and others are working to release linuxcnc 2.9.

Since Qtvcp is packaged with Linuxcnc, it should be 'up-to-date' and work error free in the 2.9 release, with debian 11.
Qtvcp should also work for all previous Debian and linuxcnc version combinations.

And, since Debian 12 will be released in 2023, it would be smart to get it going, now.

More
27 Dec 2022 21:31 #260434 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Up-to-dateness

GmoccaPY has some issues with Wayland on Debian 11 and 12 that can be easily fixed by using the XFCE desktop environment, i do not recall anything else having issues.

This is deeper than Wayland. I have been unable to get gmocappy to run on the later Debian versions on any desktop

The biggest change from Buster to Bullseye was the removal of Python 2.7. Some of the GUI's still may not have full support for Python 3.
Linuxcnc is already packaged in Debian 12 Bookworm so it makes no sense to use Bullseye.

Be sure to select the XFCE desktop environment as the Debian default Desktop and Gnome use Wayland which linuxcnc no longer likes.

QTvcp itself seems fine on Bookworm and operation of QTplasmac which uses it is perfect!

More
27 Dec 2022 21:35 #260435 by rodw
There is one caveat with the later kernels which is network latency with the debian kernels 5.10 and above. This is explained with a workaround using a kernel compiled from the pristine sources,
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...dware-eg-realtek-nic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roguish, zu4lu

More
27 Dec 2022 21:50 #260436 by Roguish
Replied by Roguish on topic Up-to-dateness
Thanks for chiming in.
I don't know anything about Wayland, just had to look it up to find what it is.

ALL GUI's SHOULD be up-to-date with Python 3.x in 2.9 and 2.10.
and desktop environments should not matter either (with the mainstream) Wayland or X11 or whatever.

You are correct about the ether latency. That's where my problems originated.
And I don't see why it's necessary to fiddle fart around compiling drivers and/or kernels.

Linuxcnc should be basically a load and go code. Particularly for 'released' versions of Debian and Linuxcnc itself.

The fact that even the sim of QtDragon does not run with Debian 11 and Linuxcnc 2.10 (from buildbot2) is BS.

Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2022 23:01 #260443 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Up-to-dateness
To fix that, here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp/38414-installing-qtvcp
This should also fix all the dependencies for QtDragin and QtPlasmaC.
As for the rest, not all those GUI's are LinuxCNC projects, those are user made GUI's for LinuxCNC, so mostly maintained by their creators with the help of other users.
LinuxCNC works perfectly with Axis GUI and some others, but i stick to Axis for production machines always, as i got tired of QT and it's huge overhead and consequent issues. Despite this i tried to help developers whenever i bumped into any issue (mostly my fault though :) )
As a side note, how many times did you complain to MicroSoft or Adobe or AutoDesk? Those are paid software that much much worse than Linux, by a huge margin.
I absolutely understand your frustration, but it is an Open Source software, and it is magnificent at it thanks to all who invest their spare time in adding new features and fixing stuff consistently while never asking for compensation, ever.
Just getting things to work with Python 3 was a monumental task that they went through without us here ever noticing much.
So, again, thank you all.

More
28 Dec 2022 04:29 #260453 by rodw

Thanks for chiming in.
I don't know anything about Wayland, just had to look it up to find what it is.

ALL GUI's SHOULD be up-to-date with Python 3.x in 2.9 and 2.10.
and desktop environments should not matter either (with the mainstream) Wayland or X11 or whatever.

You are correct about the ether latency. That's where my problems originated.
And I don't see why it's necessary to fiddle fart around compiling drivers and/or kernels.

Linuxcnc should be basically a load and go code. Particularly for 'released' versions of Debian and Linuxcnc itself.

The fact that even the sim of QtDragon does not run with Debian 11 and Linuxcnc 2.10 (from buildbot2) is BS.

I could not agree more. When Linuxcnc was didtributed on its own ISO, it was all integrated. But Linux nd Debian march forward and things break without the developers knowing and the onus is on linuxcnc to stay current.

Becasue only a few people (like me) are using the later Debian versions, its taken a long time to identify the network latency issue.
I have logged a bug report with Debian. It would be great if you could join in on that issue
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1022170

The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyCNC

More
01 Jan 2023 01:22 #260691 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Up-to-dateness
I updated my system to mint21 and fixed some errors in qtvcp caused by library changes.
This was 2.9 - master will follow when it gets merged.
As for dependencies for qtvcp, that is really not my strength - it was set at one time but that might have been for our ISO rather then Debian repo.
I would suggest posting an issue on the linuxcnc github trpo.

Thanks
Happy New Year!

Chris

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds