QtDragonHD tool sensor help for a maker space

More
04 Jan 2024 06:50 #289742 by cmorley
For versa probe routines - only the settings on the versa probe tab and the INI are used.
The setting in the utility and settings page are for different probing routines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2024 07:07 #289744 by warwickben

You need to add the Z_MAX_CLEAR setting to the INI in the [VERSA_TOOLSETTER] section.

In fact it should look something like this numbers will be different of course:

# where in absolute (g53) machine units to probe the tool
[VERSA_TOOLSETTER]
# tool setter position in x y z  (Z should be clearance)
X = 300
Y = 300
Z = -50
# set Z lift when moving to the tool setter
Z_MAX_CLEAR = 0
# tool setter diameter for diameter probing
DIAMETER = 25
# maximum machine units to lower while probing
MAXPROBE =  40

[i]For instance this is the sequence for go to tool setter button:
Travel to Toolsetter Action sequence:[/i]
  • [i]go to VERSA_TOOLSETTER Z_MAX_CLEAR Z position[/i]
    • [i]go to VERSA_TOOLSETTER XY position[/i]
      • [i]go to VERSA_TOOLSETTER Z position.

[/i]

Z = -50  would this vaule be my spindle probe g53 then add say 5-6 inches to clear with tools for rapid down then slow feed?

# set Z lift when moving to the tool setter------- raise tool to home location for rapid over i assume
Z_MAX_CLEAR = 0
# tool setter diameter for diameter probing
DIAMETER = 25
# maximum machine units to lower while probing-----distance from z home to make probe touch?
MAXPROBE =  40

thank you so much , if i could send you a case of beer i would.

More
04 Jan 2024 07:20 #289745 by cmorley
Z_MAX_CLEAR = 0
raise up to clear everything

Z = -50
should leave clearance for your longest tool
is so you don't have to probe from Z_MAX_clear

MAX_PROBE is the maximum it will probe down. it is a relative positive number.
ie where ever the probe starts it will move a max of this number down.

The reason I split up 'goto toolsetter' from 'probe height of current tool' is so if you have an extra long tool or an obstructed setup you can manually set the tool over the toolsetter and probe it.

Open to other ideas in the future of course.
Let me know how it goes,

More
04 Jan 2024 12:58 - 04 Jan 2024 13:21 #289774 by warwickben
One thing I forgot to ask.
Do you just make the spindle tool number zero?

Last edit: 04 Jan 2024 13:21 by warwickben.

More
05 Jan 2024 00:48 - 05 Jan 2024 02:58 #289817 by warwickben
i attached my ini and my hal.i added tool zero for spindle and clicked the  the probe setter  button. it ran the probe routine and changed the value for probe HT to -7.2091  which makes sense since it matched the g53 read out when it tripped it.        photo - spidle probe set ....  no value change on the tool tab page for t0 z 
i then put a tool in and loaded up t1.  used the tool length measure button.    that changed the t1 z value in the tool table to 15.3784 inches  …….   

also tool length set the probe and probed a work place,  i forgot to take a screen showing the tool table value but it made g54 z +15.3784 inches not zero......
not sure if its a math issue or the way i set the spindle length.

go to sensor works fine.  
a issue i did notice is the max z travel value added to ini file (i made both z i had to add 0) is over riding  the max z travel for all probing i cant job roughly over the tool setter or work,  i have to start at g53 z0 or i get a over travel error.    see jog over setter picture.

Last edit: 05 Jan 2024 02:58 by warwickben.

More
05 Jan 2024 23:49 #289912 by cmorley
Ok great thanks for testing.

I see I have missed several detail in the routine.
I'll take a bit of a look this weekend and try to do better :)

More
06 Jan 2024 04:39 #289921 by warwickben
I wasn't sure if I was doing the probe routine as intended, button wise. Pictures kept throwing me off.
I tried to read the code and comments. Def could not do that stuff.

More
07 Jan 2024 20:54 #290143 by cmorley
Ok I think this will be better - I tested a bit on my system.
Here is a new probe_subroutine.py and still need the versa_probe.ui change from last time.

same deal:
tool set probe the bare spindle with 'probe tool setter height' button (can use the number from before if it hasn't changed) this number is without (tool or user offsets)

load/call a tool in linuxcnc - jog into toolsetter position
Tool set the tool with the 'tool height of current tool' button'
tool table should update and the status tab will show the calculated offset as well as the tool setter height and raw probe results.
I loaded and tool set a couple tools.

Now I have heard of people tool setting the probe but I can't see how that can be accurate (hard to get both trip points to trip at the same time), so i did something different:

before I but the probe in, I used one of the tools I had already tool set and positioned it over my vice. I used a 1/2 diameter pin to set the height above my vice. Then I zeroed my user system (g54 in my case).
Now I installed my probe (didn't change the tool number in linuxcnc) and again used the roll pin to set the Z height of the probe on my vice. Now the Z DRO reading is the difference between the original tool length and the tool probe length. So now I take the original tool Z offset (found in the tool table) and added (subtracted? I can't remember) the DRO setting and entered that as Z for tool 99 (the probe).
Then I called up tool 99 in linuxcnc.
Not saying this is the best way - just what I did. Should only need to do this once as long as both probe lengths don't change.

I set the 'auto zero' button in versa probe and used the spindle probe to 'down z probe'  the top of my vice.
Finally I changed tools back to one of the tool set tools and jogged it to the top of my vice and the dro was very close to zero.
I tested no other probing routines.

So I think we are close. I forgot to plug my tool setter back in and broke the inserts on one tool. I think linuxcnc needs two probe inputs!

I hope I have been clear enough and it all works for you.
There we still things to do but hopefully this is a positive step!
Chris
Attachments:

More
07 Jan 2024 22:51 #290156 by warwickben
You can probe the tool setter with the spindle probe . Which ever one trips first should trigger the action since they are sharing a pin. First time you can just mill a g54 face on scrap . Then probe and note the difference and use it as a comp value fkr future use. Just add/removing from the spindle tool table.

I’ll test it out once I get power back .

More
07 Jan 2024 23:35 #290164 by cmorley
Yes that does the same thing as my procedure - but easier :)

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds