Showstopper Plasma Cutter retrofit

More
13 Sep 2024 22:20 #310106 by SteveatSteelCut
Yes it has a float switch. 
ideally the float switch is only there as a backup if it doesn't sense the material.  I.e. due to rust or oil.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2024 22:39 #310107 by tommylight
OK, so the machine is usable, right?
Personally i never use ohmic sensing and i have removed quite a few of existing ones from old industrial machines as they were very flaky and more trouble than worth, but Rod has made some good work on making it very usable, so i might just give it a try ... when i get a torch with a shield.
Sorry i can not help more with it.

More
14 Sep 2024 06:07 #310114 by SteveatSteelCut
Yes it is usable.
When it let's me use ohmic probing it is working great.
It's a lot faster than the float switch, doesn't put pressure on any adjustments, and it doesn't push the material down. It seems like a much more accurate measure for pierce height.

More
14 Sep 2024 12:26 #310137 by tommylight

It's a lot faster than the float switch, ...

Yes it is and that is unfortunate as the probing is done twice every time at very low speeds.
I am beating a dead horse, as i have insisted from the very start of PlasmaC that should not be implemented at all, only a single probe.
On a plate with over 200 pierces, probing time is in hours, no matter how fast the Z axis is.

More
14 Sep 2024 23:30 #310174 by phillc54

Yes it is and that is unfortunate as the probing is done twice every time at very low speeds.
I am beating a dead horse, as i have insisted from the very start of PlasmaC that should not be implemented at all, only a single probe.
On a plate with over 200 pierces, probing time is in hours, no matter how fast the Z axis is.

It is probably an incorrect setting, my table only probes once.

More
15 Sep 2024 05:49 #310177 by snowgoer540

Yes it is usable.
When it let's me use ohmic probing it is working great.
It's a lot faster than the float switch, doesn't put pressure on any adjustments, and it doesn't push the material down. It seems like a much more accurate measure for pierce height.

Deleting the var file was a placebo. When you receive that error, it's because the ohmic probe tripped prior to reaching probe height. Generally speaking, this is due to either the torch being wet, a piece of slag completing the circuit, or in the case of my Powermax 65XP, when I used the THCAD Ohmic sensing the voltage used to accumulate for no apparent reason (though I was told this is impossible (by those without a Hypertherm)). After months of testing, I did away with THCAD ohmic sensing in favor of a few diodes, relays, and a resistor or two which sounds complicated but is much cheaper and easier to implement and has required 0 dickering, I can find a post with the diagram if you're interested. You can decrease the sensitivity of the THCAD ohmic by adding resistor(s), but ultimately I still had the issue of the accumulating voltage. You can plot this and see if it might be your issue using HALSCOPE. After a few cuts my voltage would hover near the trip voltage even when the torch wasn't wet.

More
15 Sep 2024 05:53 #310178 by snowgoer540

I've seen you say this numerous times on the forum. This has to be a setting/config issue on your part. In an effort to hopefully put the "they didnt listen to me" part of this to bed, I made a video this evening while I was cleaning up the garage. It shows QtPlasmaC (using the PlasmaC component) doing 2,400 probes. Not a single one of them double probed, and it should be noted that all 2,400 probes were completed in ~1 hour.

It should also be noted that I made Cut Height and Pierce Height equal so it didn't look like there was an extra probing move.

I should also note that when the heights/settings are wrong, probing does take longer.

It is probably an incorrect setting, my table only probes once.

X2, I agree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
15 Sep 2024 11:04 #310189 by rodw

Deleting the var file was a placebo. When you receive that error, it's because the ohmic probe tripped prior to reaching probe height. 

This cannot happen. Ohmic sensing monitors motion.motion-type and can only activate when linuxcnc is actually probing, If its triggering, it has to be the breakaway or float switch.

More
15 Sep 2024 11:30 #310192 by phillc54

Deleting the var file was a placebo. When you receive that error, it's because the ohmic probe tripped prior to reaching probe height. 

This cannot happen. Ohmic sensing monitors motion.motion-type and can only activate when linuxcnc is actually probing, If its triggering, it has to be the breakaway or float switch.

That seems a bit odd as default plasmac configs don't use the LinuxNC internal probing, they usually use external offsets.

More
15 Sep 2024 11:39 #310193 by rodw

That seems a bit odd as default plasmac configs don't use the LinuxNC internal probing, they usually use external offsets.

But isn't plasmac.ohmic-enable only enabled when ohmic probing? We monitor that too.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds