retrofit Bridgeport Prototrak Plus

More
01 Jul 2016 13:22 #76890 by andypugh
The point of the 5V PSU is to test the low-voltage circuits of the drives with a supply that is current-limited so that there is less chance of doing further damage.

You wouldn't expect to see any activity from the motors with only the 5V power on.

Are there any indicator LEDs on the drives? What do they show?

Where do you have the 5V hooked up to?
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2016 13:43 - 01 Jul 2016 14:05 #76891 by new2linux
The 5 v is connected to the 2 wires coming from the 110 v PS amplifier going to the 7i77 board. The lights are one red and one green on each side are on. The example is that there are 3 lights on each side, the "y" side has a red, then a green and at he bottom a red, so the 1st red is not on, the green below it is on and the red at the bottom is on, the "x" is the same except the arrangement is symmetrical, (the single red is at the top).

Edit: I have not calibrated the 5 v PSU.

many thanks
Last edit: 01 Jul 2016 14:05 by new2linux.

More
01 Jul 2016 14:09 #76892 by andypugh
I don't know what you mean when you say "110V PS amplifier going to the 7i77 board". I hope that doesn't mean that you are connecting 110V to the 7i77. That would be very wrong.

Do you know what the lights mean? is there any indication adjacent to them?

More
01 Jul 2016 14:16 #76894 by PCW
Before you connect the 7I77 to anything or even run linuxcnc
you should make sure understand how the drive enable circuit works,
enable the drives and verify that you can make them move them with a 1.5V battery

More
01 Jul 2016 14:28 #76895 by new2linux
Andy, The amplifier has two high voltage wires to each drive, in addition there are (the small red rectangle with 2 pins to a jumper and 2 wires going to the 7i77 board), I am looking in to the lights but almost shore its ok.

PCW, Many thanks for your input, prior to this most recent set back, I used a battery to make the drives rotate with the old original card, and recorded the direction of rotation with wire color documentation. Is this what you are thinking about?

Many thanks!

More
01 Jul 2016 14:32 #76896 by PCW
I would retry this to make debugging easier

More
01 Jul 2016 14:38 #76897 by new2linux
You are suggesting to install the old card and test for motion, correct?

As the only thing I have found on the lights is that the red one should be faint, that may not be, the red looks like is as bright as the green one. I am still looking for more info.

THANKS

More
01 Jul 2016 14:45 #76898 by andypugh

As the only thing I have found on the lights is that the red one should be faint, that may not be, the red looks like is as bright as the green one. I am still looking for more info.

You would expect some error indication at the moment because the high-voltage power is not present at the drives (or at least I don't think it is).

Having checked the low-voltage circuits with the bench PSU you can now see if you get the same result from the normal low-voltage supply. (but don't connect both at the same time). Still with the 110v not connected, if possible.

More
01 Jul 2016 15:02 #76899 by new2linux
Andy, The lights only will come on if the e stop is released, 110 volt power to the transformer and amplifier as if it was running. I need to check the low voltage coming from the amplifier to see if there is current.

PCW, I will work the test you suggest in later today, if I understand fully this will show if the system will work with all original components.

If there is other tests to do on the configuration can we do them now, if I here nothing I will start the swap out of this new card for the original.

thanks

More
01 Jul 2016 15:47 #76900 by new2linux
PCW, You are correct, the old card will not move the drives. To make shore the set up is ok, this is what I did, 1.5 v (went to 2.4 v) from variable power supply to the 2 pins on old card, with e stop out. From this test it does appear that there are other problems.

I have not found any more about the lights yet.

thanks

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds