Designing Spindle PID

More
24 Nov 2017 19:35 #102312 by danimal300
Replied by danimal300 on topic Designing Spindle PID
Thanks for this response, it pointed me in the right direction. I tried to make a mechanical model of the system, but it was wildly inaccurate (need more experience doing this). From there I started researching tuning methods and found the Ziegler-Nichols method. Super easy to use, and helped me accurately model my system transfer function. I just wanted to say thanks because it got me thinking about the problem in the right way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2017 19:51 #102314 by danimal300
Attached are my machine files. Next post will have my completed report. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments:

More
24 Nov 2017 19:53 - 24 Nov 2017 23:12 #102315 by danimal300
This is my report for class so far. There are probably some typos and formatting errors in it still, but the general method I ended up using is all there. I hope that this can help others work through PID issues. I am just learning control theory, so it was a steep learning curve. There is a big difference from solving engineering problems in a book, and actually applying it in person. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

Edit: Uploaded better formatted report.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Nov 2017 23:12 by danimal300.

More
24 Nov 2017 20:17 #102316 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Designing Spindle PID
It has been quite some time since I worked in Academia and had the job of marking reports, but at that time it was customary to write reports in the passive voice.

So, not "I needed to build an encoder" but "It was necessary to build an encoder"

I don't know if that is still the case, or if your college has any style guidelines.

More
24 Nov 2017 20:22 - 29 Nov 2017 21:46 #102317 by danimal300
They do have style guidelines. I am just trying to get this all together before break is over. Thanks for pointing that out though, I know that it still needs some refinement but I will get to that after the other two projects and assignments that I have to finish before I return from break.

Edit: It was eating at me so I went ahead and reformatted the report a little better and updated that post.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2017 21:46 by danimal300.

More
26 Nov 2017 17:57 #102358 by danimal300
One more question, I designed a quick test With a dull old end mill and ran a pretty aggressive HSM adaptive clearing path. I did some hal scope analysis, and caught this wave form right as it entered the corner of a pocket. It is a decent disturbance, but I wanted to see what others thought about the controller response.

It overshoots by about 200RPM above, might be due to it entering the corner and the spindle spools up as it exits causing the overshoot. Otherwise It was not too bad. Thoughts on the controller response?
Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2017 19:17 #102361 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Designing Spindle PID
Could be I-term wind-up.
You might want the PID terms to be asymmetric around zero error, if the spindle speed authority is different in accel and decel directions.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds