Configuring axis gui "axis radio buttons"

More
04 Oct 2017 10:14 #99909 by Clive S

Yes, the encoder/pots can connect to a software encoder counter through either Mesa GPIO or P-port.
If you run a base-thread then the p-port can count faster than you can twirl the knobs. If you use the mesa IO then the inputs can only be sampled at 1kHz, so if you twirl very fast you will lose counts. But you won't notice.

Very helpful Andy Thanks.

My Hal files for the PP are at the start of the thread #99683 when you have the time could you point me in the right direction to start I am very slowly beginning to understand the Hal stuff I do read every post on the forum to try and learn.

I do appreciate your valuable time that you put into the forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2017 12:03 #99955 by andypugh
It will be much like your existing custom hal.
Just increase the number of encoders to 4, configure like the existing encoders and then connect the counts pin to the halui.spindle-override.counts
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/halui.1.html
Your HAL will also need to "setp" the count-enable to true and also "setp" a suitable scale value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
05 Oct 2017 15:34 #99965 by Clive S

It will be much like your existing custom hal.
Just increase the number of encoders to 4, configure like the existing encoders and then connect the counts pin to the halui.spindle-override.counts
Your HAL will also need to "setp" the count-enable to true and also "setp" a suitable scale value.

Thanks Andy my encoder pots have come today from RS 623-4237 I also ordered the one's you link to from China.

So If I want to do the feed override first then; I take I would use halui.feed-override.counts and now I am lost:( would you mind guiding me a bit more.

More
05 Oct 2017 16:10 #99968 by andypugh
It's just a copy/paste of the existing MPG stuff, with different parport pins, basically.

More
06 Oct 2017 15:42 #100014 by Clive S

It's just a copy/paste of the existing MPG stuff, with different parport pins, basically.

Ok I enclose the custom.hal with copied mpg stuff at the end. I am sorry but I can not figure it out. Could you please comment on it for the names to be changed etc I have increased encoders to 4

I gather I will need halui.feed.override.counts some ware in the file

The custom.hal loads without errors at this time

File Attachment:

File Name: custom_2017-10-06.hal
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
10 Oct 2017 13:35 - 10 Oct 2017 21:20 #100141 by Clive S
Update: I now have the alps encoder connected to a 74HCT14 schmitt trigger and it is triggering the BOB in-put pins OK. It is also able to jog the X axis from pins 10 & 11.

I am still struggling to get it to change the feed-rate and slider in axis. Can anybody help please.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2017 21:20 by Clive S.

More
10 Oct 2017 18:52 #100158 by andypugh
Well, you need to net the encoder,3.counts to the halui.feed-overide-counts pin:
You can choose any signal name you want (that's the first thing after the "net" command.
And then setp the scale and (probably) the enable pins.

(and it would help to clear out many of the commented lines from your HAL, they only confuse humans and are ignored by the computer)

More
11 Oct 2017 15:11 #100213 by Clive S

(and it would help to clear out many of the commented lines from your HAL, they only confuse humans and are ignored by the computer)

Ok cleared the comments out.

sorry but still need more help. just don't seem to be able to get my head around it.
the file loads without errors.

File Attachment:

File Name: customx.txt
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2017 15:21 #100214 by andypugh
Maybe it is because you don't have

setp halui.feed-override.scale 100
(maybe 0.01, I don't have any way to test where I am now).

machine->halmeter in the menus will let you see if the signals and outputs are moving.

More
11 Oct 2017 19:08 #100230 by Clive S

Maybe it is because you don't have

setp halui.feed-override.scale 100
(maybe 0.01, I don't have any way to test where I am now).

Thanks Andy star man. My bad I was using the wrong port I found with hal-meter.

can you clarify what is the (feedrate-fa) doing in here

net feedrate-fa encoder.3.phase-A <= parport.1.pin-10-in
net feedrate-fb encoder.3.phase-B <= parport.1.pin-11-in
If I delete it I get an error

Also would I set the feed-rate slider back to 100% with a switch (would I connect it to halui.feed-override.count-enable true )

File Attachment:

File Name: custom.txt
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds