6i24-25 and 7i52S

More
17 Sep 2019 01:15 #145365 by pgettings
Replied by pgettings on topic 6i24-25 and 7i52S
Thanks for the continued help.

I found the part of the manual that explains the need to power cycle, again; I had forgotten since last trying to work with this hardware 8 months ago. I powered the machine off, turned it back on. Now, I get the init and done leds lit immediately on power up, they do not turn off, and mesaflash no longer finds the board.

Seems like I managed to put the wrong bitfile into the eeprom. Is there a way to recover from this, or did I just brick my card? I believe I wrote the 16k gate file to the EEPROM last, and I did not touch the fallback area on the EEPROM (that I know of).

I do not have a JTAG programmer, which is referenced in the manual as a possible recovery mechanism. Could putting the 25k gate version into the EEPROM cause the fallback EEPROM area to fail as well?

Thanks for your excellent help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2019 01:55 #145366 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 6i24-25 and 7i52S
If you have a 6I24 you can re-write the flash using mesaflashes --recover option
(this does need a recent mesaflash version)

(the -25 bitfile will not overwrite anything important but of course will not work)

More
18 Sep 2019 00:37 #145473 by pgettings
I found that the pre-installed (linuxcnc) version of mesaflash is 3.1, vs. the 3.0 version distributed with the 5i24.zip file from Mesa Electronics website. What is the latest version available, and where? Web searches find links to a git repository or two, but I don't see any versioning listed in the files.

Both versions of mesaflash list a --recover option in the help message, but neither version seems to do anything.

When I run mesaflash 3.1 with --recover, I get an error that no 5i24 board was found; trying with a 6i24 device name yields an unsupported device error. Version 3.0 silently fails --recover attempts. I have tried issuing a write command (both versions) and --list (for v3) but only no device found error (v3.1) or no output (v3) resulting.

What can I try next? I don't see anything in the manual other than the JTAG connector, which I don't have a way to use. The computer has been power cycled a couple times now, and the board reseated once (so I could check the LED names). The board instantly lights init and done LEDs at power on, and they stay solid on until I turn power off.

Why would the 5i24_16...7i52s.bit or 5i24_25...7i52s.bit files cause my 6i24 to stop all responses?

Thanks for any help.

More
18 Sep 2019 03:20 #145480 by PCW

More
18 Sep 2019 23:42 #145544 by pgettings
Your github link gets me mesaflash version 3.4.0; thanks. I got the code to compile with no errors, and the help text now includes a 6i24 and 6i25 for the --recover option! However, I still can't get mesaflash to find my board.

I have tried changing the clock speed from 33 to 66 MHz. I tried using the bridge EEPROM jumper in both EEPROM and default states, with both 33 and 66 MHz PCI clocks. I keep getting board not found errors for 5i24 and 6i24 options to mesaflash, with or without --recover.

The init and done LEDs on the board are constantly lit from power up to power off.

Oddly, changing the jumper for pull-up resistors on the FPGA causes the computer to not boot with a video card. All the other jumpers are in the default (5V) settings for the IO ports, etc.

Going to try the same card in a different computer, just to see if the linux install or PCI-E bus is the problem.

So, anyone have ideas on why the board stopped showing up at all? Any ideas on something to try to get the board back talking to the CPU?

Thanks.

More
19 Sep 2019 00:30 #145547 by pgettings
Tried the card in another machine, with no better luck. Still have both LEDs turned on, no board detected with or without the --recover option. Is there something simple I am missing?

Thanks.

More
19 Sep 2019 01:53 #145549 by PCW
If you wrote an incorrect bitfile, the stuck on LEDs and no normal card access
are pretty much guaranteed.

It look like even Mesaflash 3.4 doesnt know that 6I24s are recoverable, I will try and add that to the program tomorrow when I have access to a 6I24.

Did you try lying and telling mesaflash the board was a 6I25?

More
19 Sep 2019 16:32 #145599 by pgettings
I have fixed the board, by telling mesaflash 3.4 that I have a 6i25 with the --recover option. That found the board, and I was able to write the 5i24_16....7i52s.bit file to the EEPROM. A power cycle and the board responds as a 5i24, with the expected pin assignments!

Thanks for all the help, and I hope anyone with a similar problem can get right to the end with this thread!

More
19 Sep 2019 17:40 #145604 by PCW
i'll try to fix mesaflash but the trick is that when doing recovery you cannot
identify the board. I suspect The easiest patch around would be to have a
"recover" card name

More
20 Sep 2019 11:50 #145660 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 6i24-25 and 7i52S

I have fixed the board

It's probably not a great idea to use an actual email address as your forum ID.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds