Lathe gui reconfiguration

More
06 Oct 2019 17:47 #147277 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Lathe gui reconfiguration
"Here it tells you to look at around line 46 in the motion hal file what needs looking at. I usually don't read beyond that if no other errors are listed.
As phillc54 pointed out, just comment it out. #"

And this piece of information is a huge leap for my understanding on where to look for the errors that are being generated! Thank you for that. If I know WHY a set of characters is used, I can figure out much more. But when it comes to just seeing code, I can only recognized what I've come to understand. And although I understand quite a bit, the details of how Linux works is the biggest mystery to me. I'm learning though. Lots was lost after an 18 year hiatus from using it. I became quite a microsofty!

"The term "crash" is not really correct. It is giving you an error report that is helping you to correct things."

And thanks to your little pointer above, I have a greater understanding of how to correct things. It means tons. Thank you!

"The other hal file is for a pendant, you want do the same there, comment out all the Y stuff. The last hal is for the spindle. Not sure about that one or how to configure it for pico."

I think both initiators of the code of both of those files are in the .ini file and commented out for future use. But when I uncommented those and did what was instructed from the information I was reading, it didn't function properly and threw errors. I don't think that they're imperative right now. But the spindle isn't turning yet due to a bad DAC. Once that gets delivered and installed, I'll know more. I think the spindle.hal file is a python script that's launched if the RPM is desired to be seen through the gui. That also needs to be suppressed for a bit, though. The main thing is getting the axes to move and that spindle controlled through LinuxCNC.

"So, as mentioned before, confirm that the Z is hooked up, to for a lack of better terms, to the Z channel on the pico board. Didn't you jog the Z with up/down arrows on the keyboard before? Meaning on the Y axis for mill setup? If so, you need to switch the encoder and drive outputs from the Y "channel" to the Z."

The Z is hooked up. The wiring was set up as the second place for amps on the board. So maybe just switching the wiring will stop that error? I was able to move things with full control when the system identified the axes as XY. I didn't even think about moving the wiring! Below is a simple wiring diagram of the Pico Systems PWM board. I'm going to bet if I just move the wiring for the encoders limit switches and amp signals to the 3rd positions on the board, the system will send the signals to the amps, rather than to empty terminals.

It's the little things that we miss! Below is the wiring diagram. I'm going to bet if I just move those second connections to the third positions on the boards, that would do it!

pico-systems.com/images/pwmuse.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2019 01:53 #147305 by Scot
Well, sir, everything functions now! Thank you. I learned VOLUMES in the last few days through this question.

I'm only scratching my head about one thing, though. The machine is pretty much maxed out for acceleration and velocity at about 400ipm and 100ips acceleration. But now, after the switches you were so kind to help me with, The gui will not display anything past 300ipm even when the maximum velocity goes past that in the .ini file. I tested the old .ini file and sure as heck, it went past the 300ipm when the values in the maximum velocity went past what it can do consistently without faulting the amps.

The .ini file uses a inches/second number. When I used to set it past it's maximum calculated speed, it would use that number as the multiplier. 1 would be 60ipm, 10 would be 600ipm. Any clue as to what may have gotten changed?

And I cannot thank you enough. This is a really solid setup for a guy like me. I'm building another lathe with it as soon as possible. And at the risk of being repetitive, I HIGHLY suggest getting Pico-System's boards.

Let me know if I'm missing something, though. I still have some room to move faster if I can get the number up.

Scot

More
07 Oct 2019 14:07 #147337 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Lathe gui reconfiguration
I'm glad it's working now.
I pulled a few things off my ini when I edited yours. Open it up and compare it to the previous one and change whats under the display section and the trajectory section. The max velocities under display control how the gui shows your values on the jog and max velocity slider. You can configure that to your liking. MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 5 caps it 300 ipm.

More
07 Oct 2019 14:33 #147340 by Scot
I saw the MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY line and didn't really understand that the axes don't override it. I'm still figuring out what does what within each file, though.

It's a hell of a learning curve, but there are lightbulbs going off all over the place with the help of those who are on this forum. It's getting very close now. I think I can get the rapids up over 360ipm but not much past that before the motors draw too much current and the amps fault. I'm blown away by how much faster the slide is than it used to be.

Sincerest thanks and thanks for the clarification,

More
07 Oct 2019 14:49 #147343 by tommylight
@scot,
Those light bulbs are nothing compared to the bright burning sun you get the moment you comprehend what else is possible with LinuxCNC.
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scot

More
07 Oct 2019 15:00 #147344 by Scot
Yes sir! It's kind of amazing, actually. I fiddled with it back when redhat was hot and had a dedicated system but I became a microsofty again out of convenience. Not again, though. Things have really gotten better.

Looking forward to the ride!

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds