7i92, laser power velocity controlled

More
08 Jan 2020 14:04 #154309 by Todd Zuercher
Adding an indicator light of some sort to the machine to show that the laser is on/enabled would not be difficult, and might be a very good idea. Also adding hal connections and or physical connections to disable the laser when in e-stop would be wise and not difficult.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2020 16:02 #154315 by PCW
In addition, for safety, the PWM polarity should be such that a high output from the 7I92 disables the laser (this means using active low PWM), otherwise the laser may turn on at power up or after a watchdog bite.

More
09 Jan 2020 07:25 #154411 by Ralfh
I got to test a few things yesterday, but first my current workflow for safety:
  • I install the Laser on my machine
  • I start my machine
  • I load my Laser NC-code
  • I put on my glasses
  • I apply power to the laser
  • I start the program
  • I turn off the power to the laser after the program is finished or when it stops

For now that is OK for me. In short terms i will use the LED on my powersupply as an indicator, in long terms i would like to test the active low PWM like described here: active low PWM

Now to the fun part:
I tested my PWM output and velocity linearity. I engraved a rectangle and a number where number 1 is engraved with 10% velocity, number 2 is 20% velocity and so on.

Number 1 looks way too burnt, number 7 a little weak. But all in all pretty linear. This is for now more than acceptable for my application. (engraving clock-faces)

As a reference: the rectangles are 0,5mm thick. The laser burn width is about 0,15mm.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds