Which GUI for Lathe with mesa cards

More
14 Mar 2020 09:45 #160150 by nikanor
I have installed LinuxCNC (linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy.iso) and have bought mesa 5i25, 7i76 and 7i84 , have installed it to DELL Optiplex 9020 (see attached latency test) , latency is good but wish to ad an graphic card to try make it better.

My question is: I wish to use touch screen, what is the best GUI for using touch screen but not to lose performance?

I like to use gmoccapy but am worry to lose some performance...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 10:01 #160153 by cmorley
Your latency is good enough for software stepping (if that is more then a few minute test)
Don't get crazy about latency.
try it as it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikanor

More
14 Mar 2020 10:15 - 14 Mar 2020 10:16 #160156 by alkabal
Hi

Gmoccapy work with good performance on the raspberry 4 (your computer is more fast)
With Mesa you don’t need servo_threads so in my brain the computer is less stressed and you don’t have performance ssue with built in GUI. (I’m not expert !)

Br
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 10:16 by alkabal.

More
14 Mar 2020 14:09 #160174 by PCW

Your latency is good enough for software stepping (if that is more then a few minute test)
Don't get crazy about latency.
try it as it is.

Exactly, even a few 100 usec of latency will have minimal effect on hardware step generation
and in fact with DPLL firmware, you can tolerate close to 600 usec of latency on a 1 ms thread

More
19 Mar 2020 20:58 #160773 by andypugh

I like to use gmoccapy but am worry to lose some performance...

In that case, use that :-)

Alternatively, I use Touchy, but with my own lathe macros for most of the work I do (one-offs, generally making things up as I go along).

But I have dedicated jog wheels on the apron for each axis with a separate increment selection knob, and also mpgs on the control panel for feed and spindle override, so some of the Touchy GUI is ineffective in my application.

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds