Mesa 7i76e + 7i85S encoder feedback problem

More
26 Jan 2021 19:02 - 26 Jan 2021 19:08 #196645 by fenolski
I did today some tests. I found that MAXVELOCITY parameter has crucial influcence on Joint 0 Following error. Then I hange in .ini file this parameter to 8 (mm/s) system starts to work much better but slowly. When I did tests in pncconf I got 25 mm/s (1500mm/min) so I have no idea why I need to slow the speed to 8mm/s.
I have used calibration tool. STEPGEN_MAXVELOCITY has no influence on speed. PID parameters only matters when I set MAXVELOCITY to 8mm/s. How do you think where is the reason that I need to set speed so low?

Here is my Configuration tool screenshot:
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2021 19:08 by fenolski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2021 19:21 - 26 Jan 2021 19:30 #196648 by Hakan
Hi, I have linear encoders on my stepper motor milling machine.
I see some things in the PID screen.
FF1 should be 1. When you set this to 1 and P I D to 0 0 0 you basically have a stepper motor system without feedback. It should work fine with only FF1=1. Use velocity mode. FF1 should always be 1, don't ever change it.
Then to gradually start reducing the following error, start with P=10 or maybe even P=1 and gradually increase P until ferror overshoot and there is vibration in the following error. Use halscope as you have done. Let I and D be 0 until you have P dialled in. D can get a value of you like, but if you set I there will be a constant search back and forth around the zero position that never stops. So let I=0.
I have P=40 and D=0.025
You can increase STEPGEN_MAXACCEL and STEPGEN_MAXVEL to ridiculously high numbers, I have 2000000 and 800 respectively. It allows stepgen (I think) to react as fast as possible to output extra steps needed to compensate for error. MAX_VELOCITY and MAX_ACCELERATION are 70 and 250 thats what my machine likes.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2021 19:30 by Hakan. Reason: i wish i could write

More
27 Jan 2021 20:09 #196804 by fenolski
Hello again!

I did some mods in PID controler and finally it works much better. Unfortunately follow error shows from time to time. I realized that backlash of my Chinese mill is huge - 0.4mm! I think this could be additional reason that follow error appears. I will do next tests after making new drive nut on lathe.

My question now is about Stepgen_maxvel and Stepgen_maxaccel. Whtat is correlation between them and maxvel and maxaccel parameters? What these parameters change in PID?

Thank you for your support!

More
27 Jan 2021 20:55 #196810 by PCW
The stepgen maxvel and maxaccel number should be about 25% greater
than the joint values (to allow some headroom for the PID to operate when at
max joint velocity and acceleration)

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds