hooking up a multi-axis MPG on mesa 7i92 w/7i77 and Qtdragon

More
18 Mar 2023 20:04 #267024 by bbrein8747
I am looking for recommendations on a proper hook up of a multi axis mpg. I have my inputs for axis select and x1, x10 and x100 but I am not sure about the a and b as well as questions of proper HAL to make it work correctly.
The computer has the 8125 network card which forced me to use debian 12 and linuxcnc 2.9, following Rod's instructions that has all worked correctly. I also have a light curtain to stop the axis and spindle, however the spindle does not pause and then restart. Has anyone found a good fix for the pause and restart of the spindle in QTdragon?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2023 20:33 #267029 by rodw
There is a MPG example in the main linuxcnc docs that uses the parallel port.
Using the MESA MPG inputs is similar and I fully documented hardware and software for a 7i76e in my plasma build here
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...utter-build?start=20

I have attached a 6 axis example. Ignore all the buttons etc, Note I use binary coded switches to reduce the number of pins required.
For this I needed to upgrade from mux4 to mux8. This gets a it convoluted in hal becasue we need to convert from floats to S32 values

I'm glad you got your network card running in Bookworm and the new 6.1 kernel gives the best latency ever!

Attachments:

More
19 Mar 2023 11:12 #267080 by andypugh
It might be worth looking at a 7i73 (fit it inside the pendant) to simplify the wiring. You then have an easily-replaced CAT5 cable from the 7i77 to the pendant.

More
20 Mar 2023 07:54 #267121 by rodw

It might be worth looking at a 7i73 (fit it inside the pendant) to simplify the wiring. You then have an easily-replaced CAT5 cable from the 7i77 to the pendant.

Yes I agree. You still need to code the MPG though.
Full disclosure I use a 433 MHz wireless pendant so I don't need any wires at all :)

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds