disable dangerous keyboard jogging!

More
28 Nov 2023 01:38 #286651 by phillc54

If there's one addition to the LCNC manual which might be helpful... a simple statement (somewhere) that keyboard controls are managed by the GUI, and are frequently located in some python file... not in an obvious front end setting.  Otherwise, each GUI dev or team will have to manage how, if at all, to discuss/document keyboard controls.

This will be of no value to you with your machine types but this is what we have in QtPlasmaC.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...a:keyboard-shortcuts

We also have fairly restrictive keyboard focus dependent on which widget has focus. e.g. if the edit widget is opened then all keystrokes go to the edit widget so that jogging is not possible while editing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, snowgoer540, spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2023 02:57 #286656 by spumco
Thanks again Phil.

I'm not married to PB, Axis, or any other GUI at this point.  I may wind up cooking up my own GUI, based on qtvcp or qtpyvcp... in which case the QTPlasmaC scheme will likely be valuable/
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
28 Dec 2023 08:32 #289233 by Gordon49
A issue with touchscreens is that not everybody is able to use them safely. Give my wife a touch screen device such as a phone or ipad and by just putting a finger near the screen everything goes bananas!!

Trouble is it is a random problem and does not happen every time even on the same device.

Machine tools need to be safe.  My drives are on a separate power supply and are turned off at boot.  Once the control panel is loaded I then start the motor supply, and to date have never had a problem with this way of working.

I suppose having a separate control panel as the Hass and other commercial machines is another option but is expensive.
 Not everybody has unlimited funds available.

Using a mouse only to control the machine is inconvenient  and  as long as you are aware of any dangers a keypad or keyboard can be used safely.

But each individual needs to find the best solution for themselves.

John

More
28 Dec 2023 14:35 #289247 by zmrdko
How about changing jogging keyboard shortcut to ctrl + arrow? That might eliminate a lot of unwanted jogging.

More
28 Dec 2023 16:45 #289263 by spumco

How about changing jogging keyboard shortcut to ctrl + arrow? That might eliminate a lot of unwanted jogging.

That would be a good start, but it would likely annoy users who want - and are used to - keyboard control of the machine.

Someone building a little 500w router with Nema 17 steppers and 60ipm rapids might be seriously dismayed if they needed a dedicated control panel just to test the thing out.

At the other extreme, someone retrofitting a 20hp lathe with 1000ipm rapids and $10k+ worth of tooling in the turret might be appalled at the thought of a stray keyboard (or touchscreen) click scrapping a part or crashing the machine.  They want dedicated controls, clearly marked, and requiring a very intentional press/click/twist to engage.

My preference would be to have an easily accessed setting to enable/disable keyboard controls, perhaps on a by-function basis.  Those users who have a desire for full keyboard control can leave things as-is, and those of us who want to eliminate all keyboard jogging & machine functions can do so without needing to dig through multiple python files and decrypt/edit the keybinding scheme.

I suspect the problem is that because LCNC can accept external commands from GUI programs (via python or whatever), all keyboard interaction is dependent on the GUI implementation.  As others have pointed out some GUI frameworks are better than others at describing the keybinding scheme.

I've no idea if LCNC can be modified to optionally reject keyboard commands from an external source - and if that would result in the GUI reporting errors or other unintended consequences.

More
28 Dec 2023 20:59 #289281 by cakeslob
keyboard jogging is fine, its all on how its implemented. But yeah, a good solution might be an INI option to disable keyboard shortcuts.

We also have fairly restrictive keyboard focus dependent on which widget has focus. e.g. if the edit widget is opened then all keystrokes go to the edit widget so that jogging is not possible while editing.

Exactly, it sounds less like a keyboard jog issue and more a gui issue. why arent all the keybinds being handled when the entry takes focus?

not just the < > arrows but the v ^ pgup and pgdown

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds